Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Children Without Using Ticklists

Helen

Thanks for that, Lisa. I did keep up, and it looks like a very workable system. :o Can you tell us a bit more about your electronic tracker? Is it a published system or have you designed your own?

Would anyone who made it to the Early Excellence conference be able to do a quick description of Jan Dubiel's comments re: learning stories. Does he suggest this as a single method of ongoing assessment where observations and next steps recorded alongside children's activities/work or to keep these as separate sets of records? I currently have a scrapbook and a learning journey and am thinking of combining the two but am wondering how workable this is.

Thanks

Hi Wolfie,

I will try and attach a tracker so you can hopefully see what I mean.

This is an individual tracker which the keyworker will complete - Childrens names are all the keypersons children.

This is a group tracker which includes where all the childrenre to then aid the medium term planning. Childrens names are all the children in the setting. Obviously this is just a few as we have 45.

They are both on CLL and the 1-9 is the areas. With these trackers I can see SEN areas, key areas that need looking at etc.

Hope it makes sense

Net x

Edited by net franklin

At my setting we are going to be using a single sheet at the back of the children's learning journeys. It has been provided by our EYAT so all credit goes to her. The idea is that as and when we do obs we put the date in the allocated field and ensure we have observed all elements. When we are confident the child has reached and achieved that level we colour it in - therefore showing us at a glance any weaknesses and building on their strengths. Hope it is of some use.

obs_monitoring_1_.xls

Thank you cupcake. Your system sound very thorough. I am hoping to do something similar but also extend the same way of working to the Y1s in the R/Y1 class we have.

I forgot to say that the document is meant to be used since the child enters our school at the age of 2 1/2 or 3 until s/he leaves Reception (KG3). So, it will give all of his/her teachers the chance to see how the child has been progressing throughout the years. Then the document passes to his/her Grade/Year 1 Teacher.

Edited by SmileyPR

Thanks for that, Lisa. I did keep up, and it looks like a very workable system. :o Can you tell us a bit more about your electronic tracker? Is it a published system or have you designed your own?

It's a published system called Essex Target Tracker that we buy into as a school but it will do lots of printouts at the end of reception to analise data for the next years targets and to give to ofsted. We still have to fill in E profile though because suffolk will not accept data straight from target tracker. But we get so much out of it that it is worth doing target tracker throughout the nursery and reception years and then just put end scores onto eprofile at the end of reception.

Hi Wolfie,

I am in Somerset. Thanks for the compliment. I was discussing the planning today with the staff and we all agreed that the system is working really well and finally we all understand what we are doing and why. The children especially are really enthusiastic, especially with the weekly planning session we do with them, really does give them ownership of their learning. So a big thumbs up to the EYFS because finally 'we get the planning' side of things.

Hi I am working on a very similar system but have a different mix of children each day. How have you involved the children in a weekly planning session? What does that entail? Sounds really good, but wonder about the practicalities for me and a mix of part time staff

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone went to the Early Excellence Conference and heard Jan Dubiel's talk on 'Learning Stories?'

I would really appreciate a quick overview! I know that Hammered has already made this request but here's hoping!

:oxD:( :( :(

Sorry to sound thick but shouldn't we already be doing lots of observations on children so that we can gather evidence for the FSP??

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

regarding the 'profile'

Information regarding completion of the EYFS Profile detailed below... I've highlighted the interesting bit in red :)

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is a framework which was launched on 13 March 2007 and comes into force in September 2008. It is the new regulatory and quality framework for the provision of learning, development and care for children between birth and the academic year in which they turn five (0-5). From September 2008 the Foundation Stage Profile will be renamed the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile but the content should remain the same. Practitioners should use the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile Handbook, published in July 2008. All registered early years providers will be required to use the EYFS framework from September 2008 and to complete an EYFS profile for each child at the end of the academic year in which they reach the age of five.

The primary purpose of the EYFS profile is to provide year 1 teachers and parents with reliable and accurate information about each child's level of development as they reach the end of the EYFS. This will enable the teacher to plan an effective, responsive and appropriate curriculum that will meet all children's needs, to support their continued achievement more fully.

Each child's development should be recorded against 13 assessment scales, based on the early learning goals and divided between the six areas of learning and development. Judgements against these scales should be made from observation of consistent and independent behaviour, predominantly from children's self-initiated activities. The 13 assessment scales can be found on page 24 of the EYFSP handbook. A summary listing of all scale points can be found on the separate Assessment scales reference sheet poster.

found here: http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/profile/index.htm

we are preschool (pvi) and will not be using the profile

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)