Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Response...

Hi all

It seems i will have to make my first call to First Response regarding two children who attend our setting.

Just wondered if any of you have experience with this kind of thing.

Its the kind of situation that you know you have to make the call, but cant help worrying about the possible implications.

The information i have to share is really hear-say from another parent, but since being told has answered some of our questions, so to speak - and we have been advised to contact first response.

We have all the correct policies and procedures in place for this situation but it still doesnt make it easy to pick up the phone...even though we all know you have to...

There seems to be a big question of WHAT IF....what if we dont? and what if we do?

I think this has to be the worse side of the job. :o

Jo

Guest Wolfie

Go with your instincts Jo and make that call. I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago and ended up wondering what exactly I was waiting for before making that call - was it something that "unquestionably" affected the safety and well-being of the children involved?

I was worried that everything would be taken out of my hands and I would have no say in what happened following the call, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The lady I spoke to was great - listened to everything I said, understood how difficult it had been for me to make the call and gave me some very good advice regarding the situation. And she straight away reassured me that I had done the right thing. The people at the other end of the phone know that sometimes you just need advice and to be able to talk things through with someone objective to the situation and that you're not definitely asking for action to be taken immediately.

Hi Jo

Haven't had to do this myself, but I'd say if your gut feeling is to phone then just do it. It's not worth the risk of NOT doing it.

Good luck

Fox xx

Joanne,

It certainly is the worst side of the job. You know that your actions will have consequences and the fact that you are finding it so difficult means that you are very aware of this. Thankfully this shows what a caring person you are and if you have decided that you have to take action, I'm sure your decision has been well thought through.

If there are serious concerns in your mind then the only course of action is clear. You could never live with yourself if you stood by and did nothing. Big hugs.

In my experience they are really supportive.

I also 9 times out of 10 find that the outcome of situations will be much worse than what actually happens.

Guest Wolfie

I'm sure it must be the number that Jo has to ring in her area to report a child protection concern - it's probably the local name for the team at social services dealing with those issues?

I agree, to follow your instincts. The hearsay has in effect started to help you put puzzle pieces together to find the full picture, other professionals within this families life may also have some puzzle pieces of information when put with yours helps to further complete the puzzle. The puzzle being "The safety, welfare and needs of the children, are they being met or compromised?"

The implications of putting forward information is that you will not be alone in seeking to ensure the childrens wellbeing, and the ultimate implication is that more people are thinking about, investigating and ensuring the childrens well-being. Any parent would value this, parents who are providing well for their children and/or parents who need some support. Have you been able to talk to the parents about your concerns or about the fact that you feel you need to refer to additional professional advice/support?

Have you made the call yet?

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)