Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I've Had Enough!

beth1

Oooo I have had it up to here with this other job. :rolleyes: Well I ended up calmly telling them I am level 3 qualified, so please don't contanstly tell me what to do, oh and when do I get paid and what rate please. :o:( I didn't get a very good response back so I really really don't want to go back there tommorow or at anytime in the future. :(xD It is now making me want to leave childcare for good, unless I do Childminding at my parents house or find another job quick I hope to have 3 interviews lined up within the next couple of weeks. xD :unsure:

Rant over. :( :wacko:

Beth

Sorry to hear your news Beth. It is such a crying shame - you are such an asset to the profession, and deserve a job that you love.

One of my nursery nurses, who has also come to be a very good friend, believes that everything happens for a reason, and she would undoubtedly tell you that perhaps this isn't the right job for you. She says things are just sent to test us. I never used to believe in theories like that, but am beginning to more and more.

yes I agree with Shelley

Trust in fate there must be a reason why its so trying for you at the moment. Think on the positive its is making you a stonger and more patient person and some thing will come up soon. Good luck with the interviews

Steph

Beth,

I think you need to remember that every setting is unique and you can't possibly know everything about the job immediately, regardless of your level of qualification and experience. We took on a 3rd member of staff in January and she is still going through her induction process with us. She too is a qualified Nursery Nurse, has worked in a number of settings as a relief worker and has been a playleader for a number of settings in the past - including ours many years ago! However, she needs to learn how we do things first, before coming up with ideas and suggestions of her own. Perhaps you might find it easier and less stressful to sit back and go with the flow, so to speak. You might be surprised what you can learn from this setting. :D

I agree with Beau, induction is so very important in discovering the ethos, values, policies and principles of the setting. Maybe I've missed some of your posts, I didn't realise you had had a successful interview and got a job, so well done for that. :D See if you can take Beaus advice and sit back ( in terms of observing), watch the other staff as role models, yes, show initiative when not sure what is required at any given moment and take the time to get to know everyone.

Good luck.

Ask the right person about pay scales, pay dates etc, ie: don't discuss this with other staff members, just with the boss. :o

Peggy

To start with I didn't really have a proper interview just more of a chat, in which we do within Sure Start if we are asked to move areas. So really the interview didn't get me the job more of they were sooo desprate for a staff member they took me on. I enjoy my other job within Sure Start but this one now feels very funny to me. My other boss who I spoke to today said have you got a contract so I said no, oooo thats got alarm bells ringing in my head and to stand up for myself which I did.

Beau - the ethos, values, policies and principles of the setting are exacely the same as the one I am in now it the same Sure Start stuff but in a different area. And I have sat back and tried to go with the flow but I have been constantly told what to do like my quals and experence counts for nothing. :o

Peggy - induction what induction nobody has spoken properly to me since I started nearly 3 weeks ago. If I ask anything its oh we'll get back to you. Also being told constantly what to do is affecting the way I work in my other job and my co-workers there have seen me change dramaicly in my way of working since I have started. I have lost all chance of using my initiaive and have been asking these co-workers is it alright to do whatever. It the one of the bosses who I have been asking the one above me plus all the others but I cannot seem to get a reply. :(

This evening I have been speaking to someone I know well, they have suggested that I should tell them if this is not going to be resloved by mid week I will not be returning next week due to the unresable expectations, pay etc given to me. Plus I should have signed a new contract for x months on a tempoary contract, which in the past when sent on cover for so many weeks I have done. xD

Beth

I'm sorry Beth but I don't really understand, you say you have already been working within a sure start setting but now you are working in a different area, doesn't your original contract cover these changes? Is it a completely different sure start setting or the same setting, thus same bosses?

What sort of things are they asking you to do?

Why do you think they feel the need to ask you to do something? Is it because you think they feel you are not doing what you should be doing or do you think it is because they think you don't know what you should be doing? These are two quite different perspectives.

Is the transfer to the different area due to staff shortages ( or something similar) and is only for the short term? thus not necessarily requiring a new contract? ( especially if you are already employed in the sure start unit).

I would think that being sure start, a government funded body they would be scrupulous with regard to contracts, rates of pay, etc because they are accountable to the funders.

I can see that if you have been left to it so to speak this could undermine your confidence, ask for a meeting with your line manager to discuss induction and ask your line manager who deals with PAYE etc and how best to contact them because you have some queries you would like to discuss with them.

Peggy

Right Peggy let me try to explain in Halifax we have 3 Sure Start areas all run by different governing bodies. We as Sure Start employees can move around these 3 areas but must sign a brand new contract weither on a short term basis i.e. sickness/materanty cover or peremant. So the pay and contitions are different but the aims etc remain the same. xD

So if you work across 2 different Sure Start areas you will have 2 bosses like me. Also my present contract would not fit the new one due to the fact I am empoyed as a sessional creche worker on as and when basis plus pay that relefects the role. Where this new one is same hours per week for x amount of weeks plus totally different pay scales. :(:o

In regards to asking me what to do, for example, well a young toddler fell off a chair there was only 2 members present and we were both dealling with 2 different sets of parents. I got told infont of these parent to get a cold compress and a drink, well if they would have given me chance I would have got them. This person is also in charge, who later on I decided to make it clear that I know what I am doing so don't worry. Plus this staff member consantly underminds me and the way they talk to me feels a bit patrinsitng for example would you watch that child. Well if I didn't have my hands full I would get the child sorted straight away plus oooh give that child a cuddle, then the next minutue oooh we must encourage them to play with the toys.

I feel that I should not go in until this induction, pay etc get sorted as I am feeling like I am being taken for a mug so to speak. I don't know maybe I should look into other avenues of childcare working within the early years to complete my course, but I don't know where to look at first. :(

Sorry I didn't mean for it to go on for sooo long. :( Thanks for listening/reading everyone. :D

Beth

I understand the setting thing now. :D

Hmmm as for example of directing you in front of parents, seems a need for a look at deployment issues there, with only 2 staff available, it's not good deployment to have both staff talking to 2 sets of parents simultaneously, thus leaving children unnattended. Leader needs to make clear who is doing what when to deploy available staff effectively. ( easy on hindsight I know).

Communication also seems to be cloudy, before giving up maybe ask for a chat with this leader, preferably during non contact time, let her know that you feel undermined, ask for clear direction as to deployment, ask her to allow you time to respond before she directs you etc. I am sure she doesn't mean to undermine you, as you previously said they were desperate for staff and offered you the position without interview. Ask if she would prefer you to stay with the children or talk to the parents, you can't do both at once. etc.

It is still early days, time is needed for the leader to get to know your strengths, then she can deploy you more effectively knowing she can leave you to it.

Peggy

Beth, I read all of your posts and I cant believe the luck you have.

I'm a great believer in Everything happens for a reason. If somethings meant to be it will be, you can fight against it but ultimitly fate will out. :D

Good luck and maybe we'll meet on Saturday. I'll tell you how I picture you later :o

Hi Beth

While I sympathise with your problem I do feel Beau and Peggy have offered some really good advice.

Every setting is unique in that the people who work there are different and have different ideas within the constrains of official working practice and it does take time for new people to work this out. Take the opportunity to watch and get to know the particular ethos of this setting.

~I know you feel frustrated because you are a level 3 practitioner and feel this isn't being recognised but from the settings point of view you are the new person and don't know how they work please don't take this personally even people with years and years of experience meet this in new positions ...honestly. My friend has over 30 years experience as a NNEB level 4 and has met this in many settings in her role as a SENS support worker. She says she just has to grither teeth and sets to to prove she knows what shes doing. Good Luck !

Hi Beth,

I can see how frustrating this is for you; I remember working for a headteacher who loved my job-share partner as she could do no wrong, and I was the other one.....

I think you've been given superb advice from others, and I can't add anything else except to say, be the very very best practitioner you can be for the next couple of weeks, rise above it with a smile, do what's been suggested above, and have a nice long bath with a glass of wine every night!

• 11 months later...

[Hi Beth,

Where do you live? I currently manage a children's day nursery in Islington and I am recruiting Level 3 staff at present. That is if you are intrested of course!

Angelique

[Hi Beth,

Where do you live? I currently manage a children's day nursery in Islington and I am recruiting Level 3 staff at present. That is if you are intrested of course!

Angelique

I live way up north in West Yorkshire too far to travel, thanks for thinking about me thought much appriciated. :o

I hope you find some soon.

Beth

Edited by beth1