Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicks To Hatch

Does anyone know where we can loan a incubator and get the egs to watch them hatch? Has anyone done this and how successful is it.

Thanks, I'm sure others would be interested - spring and all that! :o

i think there is a website called living eggs which might loan incubators. We have our own incubator at work, and get the eggs from a local farm, our chicks are about 5 days old, this is the second year I have done it, its a fantastic project, but can be quite stressful - this year the turner on the incubator stopped working, so for a week I had to have it at home with me, turning it by hand, and only 4 chicks have hatched out of 24 eggs originally, it is well worth doing though, if you want any more info about it, pm me

I was just going to post a topic on the forum to say one of our chicks hatched today!!

We got our eggs and incubator from our local farm and have waited 21 days for them to hatch. They were due to hatch yesterday but they didn't they held on to this afternoon about 2.30pm so the children (and staff don't know who was more exicted) got to see it. It was amazing to watch he or she came out quite quickly once he'd made the hole.

Then it snowed!! slighlty confusing chicks hatching in the snow but what an exciting day for the children!! How can we top it tomorrow??

So glad at least one has hatched after all my tender loving care we had 16 eggs all together like basilbrush said is quite stressful keeping the temperature constant and making sure little fingers don't adjust it but it was worth it in the end! Maybe we'll have some more tomorrow. We get to keep them for a week in a hutch in the classroom then the farmer will be back to collect them. :D

If anyone lives in the North Somerset area, I am happy to lend our incubator, which is a child orientated one holding 3 eggs with a count down screen and automatic turning etc, and I will have the chicks back after

Ellie

email me at ellie@brimblewood.plus.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)