Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To?

HI ALL,

GOT THE DREADED CALL FROM OFSTED ON WEDNESDAY AND GOT INSPECTOR IN ON MONDAY. xD

CAN I ASK YOU ALL WHAT EVIDENCE YOU HAVE TO SHOW STANDARDS ON ENTRY? (WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IS ONE OF THE KEY AREAS HE IS FOCUSING ON).

THE OFSTED INSPECTOR IS ALSO OBSERVING A LITERACY LESSON (AM DOING THE HUNGRY CATERPILLAR).

HAS ANYONE BEEN OBSERVED BY OFSTED AND GOT ANY FEEDBACK FROM LESSON OBSERVATIONS THAT YOU WOULDN'T MIND SHARING?

THANKS

:o

Attainment on Entry was the area our inspector focussed on too (we had our inspection in Nov). I have attached our grid for summarising attainment on entry which our inspector was very happy with - she even photocopied it to take a copy for her records. We assessed children using statements from the new EYFS and gave them an overall stage for PSE, CLL and PRN (stage 5 being the average on entry to Reception). This baseline was produced by our LEA however what you've used for your baseline might be completely different. Our paperwork was absolutely fine and we found that ofsted were satisfied when they saw this and we did not see an inspector in the three FS classes after the first morning (2 day inspection).

Cohort_Information.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi Claire that was one of our focus areas last week too. But the Inspector who came to us did not visit the FS classrooms to our knowledge although in our semi open plan school and his location in the library opposite our classrooms, he probably saw all he needed to??

We were told feedback was only given if a lesson observation lasted more than 20 mins if he was alone or 30mins if it was a paired obs with the head. He did one paired and the head gave feedback. He went into one other lesson but I dont know for how long exactly and have heard no talk of feedback.

When he talked to us as FS teachers he was unconcerned with our evidence but more with how we use it and show progress.

This is very much a check on the SEF and the onus is on the HT and co.

Good luck. We've all felt very relieved that at last it is over for a while!!

Thank you all for your swift responses. :)

The ofsted inspector has told the head he wants to see x3 20 minutes lessons, they will be Reception, Year 2 and Year 6.

So as the only Reception teacher he will def be observing my literacy lesson on the hungry caterpilllar (argh!!) . He also wants a meeting at lunchtime to discuss standards/ attainment on entry with myself as foundation stage co-ordinator.

I will take in the E-profile and scores from last year showing attainment on entry and attainment at the end of FS. I will also show examples of the children's work. Can anyone think of anything else??? My LEA don't do PIPs.

Are teachers still graded for their lessons id they are only observed for 20 minutes?

If you have any photos/disks with photos on they would be great too Claire, but don't worry if you haven't. Our OFSTED inspector was quite happy to chat informally on standards on entry and I discussed profiling,etc. They do still grade you, I was graded even though he only saw a 5 minute chunk, but he was very fair and asked what time was best for Reception bearing in mind their routines. The main focus was Excellence and Enjoyment/ECMatters but he did like the main lesson objective to be shared even though it was verbal and simply put! Our inspectors were very good and we were lucky...hope you are too!!

I just wanted to wish you good luck too.

I think what happens depends greatly on individual inspection teams. We still use baseline on entry to both nursery and reception and were able to show these when asked. I actually missed our OFSTED last week but understand the inspector spent 40 minutes in our unit. At our last OFSTED we did not get feed back unless we asked for it and you no longer get graded as you did in the old system.

All the staff have told me how much they ENJOYED this inspection!

Guest tinkerbell

Good luck Claire

We were OFSTEDED in June and the inspector came twice to my Ryr1 class to see me teach. She saw each teacher ,there are 4 of us.You dont actually get a grade as in the old number system but she did feed back about the lesson and say that it was graded as good or outstanding.She didn't want to see any planning for the lesson but looked at my medium planning on the computer.

As Foundation teacher she wanted to know how I assessed the children on entry and she looked at my e-profile assessment folder with evidence in it. She was chatty and we got a lot covered .Take the opertunity to sell yourself, be positive and show her you know what you are doing.

Good luck Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)