Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Excellence, Huddersfield

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I'm sure many of you have already discovered and used this AMAZING place but I only visited it for the first time today - Early Excellence at Outlane, on the outskirts of Huddersfield. The centre is used for all sorts of training courses but also has lovely early years classrooms set out with ideas for areas for continuous provision, both Birth to Three and Foundation Stage.......and it also has an absolutely brilliant shop full of resources to die for!!!! I could have spent a fortune! My course is over two days, with the second day in April - I've decided to go back into the shop then WITH A STRICT BUDGET!

If you live anywhere near and you haven't paid a visit to the Centre, go! :)

I have been but it was back in 2003 just before they changed the classrooms around. xD I would love to go again sometime in the future. Hey Wolfie what course are you doing? It was well worth the trip up even on the bus and having to walk back because we missed our stop! :o:(

Beth

I've been there as I lived not far from there before I moved away from my parents home and suggested it to my 1st school when we were sorting it out. It's lovely but VERY expensive and of course has never had any children in it!

Fantastic place and i have done several courses there and spent a lot of money but... I think it is very very expensive to buy from, and no children are never in their classroom, but it does provide wonderful ideas and everyone should go at least once. BTW do they still put all those lovely sweets on the tables for people who are doing training - Oh and the food their is gorgeous as well!

Guest Wolfie

Yes, we had JELLY BABIES and the people in front had Dolly Mixtures! And home made cookies with coffee and a buffet lunch to die for!!

I agree, the resources WERE very expensive in the shop - but just looked so tempting! I was on a course about the role of the teacher in Children's Centres, run by Marion Dowling. Very good!

Edited by Wolfie

I am lucky enough to live fairly near this centre - I have attended 2 courses there in the last week - one on Sat by Linda Thorntan and Pat Brunton and a free twilight by JJenny one of the directors last night. Out of interest each term (usually towards the end of the term) they put on a number of free twilights - if you go on the website at the beg of each term the dates for the free twilights are on there but you have to book straight away as they get booked up very quickly. They start at 4.45 and finish at 6 and then you can stay for tea.

Guest Wolfie

I'm a good 2-2.5 hours away unfortunately....but if I set off at 3.30 I could get them in time for the tea!! :o

Guest Wolfie

Do you know, I'm still full from yesterday!! Well, it would have been rude not to eat everything on offer, wouldn't it?!?! :D

Myself and my nursery nurse went on a maths problem solving course last week. My nursery nurse has special dietary needs and these were catered for, plus the catering woman (can't think of her name!) had a chat to her, asked her loads of questions, offered advice (including that she should look carefully at the ingredients in the vitamin supplements she was taking), and was generally great. My nursery nurse said she had got more useful info talking to her than she had received from her numerous doctor's and hospital appointments. Food, as everyone says, was fab ... and we managed to only spend £20 in the shop, though we could quite easily have spent LOADS more.

Courses there tend to be good too. Mookie, interesting info about the twilights - I didn't know that, or that they were open on Saturdays.

I'm a good 2-2.5 hours away unfortunately....

I'd say that was quite fortunate from the perspective of your credit card!! xD

Think yourself lucky - I live in the next village 'up' (literally!) from Outlane and have to pass the centre to and from work everyday - it's hard not to divert to do a bit of shopping, especially now that so many friends have young children! However, it's not open at 7 in the morning and usually shut if I work a full day, thankfully :D

It really is a fab place to go - the birth to three room is a good addition, but isn't as helpful as the workshopped room. I think I'll have to take my friend there this weekend as her 4 year old daughter goes to school and she said "They seem to do a lot of playing" - a quick tour round Early Excellence may put her straight!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)