Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Question . .

Hi everyone

Just got another question - think I'm having a bit of a senior moment, as I feel there is a simple answer . . . but can't find it at the moment . . . as some of you know I'm wondering where to go qualification wise? NNEB in 1979 and have worked in Childcare and Education ever since - thinking of doing something purely for 'self' satisfaction - rather than be in a position later of "I wish I'd done that" at a later stage in my life.

Anyway less of the waffle and down to the question . .

When you enrol via OU do you have to commit to which course straight away? Can't make my mind up whether to consider Cert. in Early years or FD, I know the E123 and E124 give you the Cert. in early years, but if I am to apply for funding from my LA for this do I have to know which Qualification I want them to fund? or can I apply for further funding if I only choose the Cert. in Early Years and realise that I want to continue to FD?

Does this make sense???? Feels though I'm as clear as mud?!

One of my nursery nurses has just applied for the HNc in Advanced Practice with Children and Families through the local college. Apparently it is an online course, with some sessions in college. Don't know what it's like but sounds good.

hi

When I started my FD with the OU I initially decided to enrol for the FD with our LA we apply for funding year by year so the first year I got funding for E123 & E124 and then the second year I applied for funding for the second year and so on. Someone I know applied for funding to also do the FD but decided to stick with the level 4 after one year which was not a problem just meant she did not apply for funding for the second year. Starting study with the OU was the best thing I have ever done has been 18 years since I was studying and found this a really valuable and supportive way to update my qualifications. Hope this all makes sense if I can help in any way please feel free to pm me.

Shelley

Thanks ninafox, your explanation is really helpful. have got a brief meeting tomorrow with our Sure Start Advisory Teacher (about a completely different issue) but think I will ask her how to go about applying for funding. I am assuming each LA has it's own application forms etc? I have a feeling that the Transformation Fund should be there to help - but is this on set criteria? After reading through your replies and other posts about the OU route I'm beginning to get a bit of a buzz . . . definately must be having a senior moment! (am I allowed to say that or is it not PC?????)

Hi

The transformation fund is where I got my funding from and the good thing about the transformation fund is it covers 100% of the course costs which means you should have nothing to pay. I was also luck that our LA gave us £600 study allowance to pay for computer bits or study accessories we needed. The good thing about the transformation fund is it does not go on income or circumstances so everyone is treat on the level of qualification. Good luck hope you get it all sorted and should be ready for a FEB start..

Transformation fund in my LA covered 100% of my funding for two years plus a mentor payment of £3000 plus a personal bursary of £1,500. My friend however who works in the next LA from me applied for transformation fund and only got 70% plus a £500 bursary payment, so I think it depends on how much money is allocated to each LA and how many people are accessing it at the time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)