Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Suggestions Please

Can anyone recommend any stories about stranger danger and "saying no"?

Would like something that is a good story, to get the message over, that won't worry one particularly sensitive child (and her Mum) too much.

Jean

• 2 months later...

hi

im a bit wary of teaching children about stranger danger

often its people who are known to children who are convicted of abuse, this is backed up by research, hence the stranger danger campaign is no longer....

its somethimes much better to talk about or encourage parents to talk about being safe and what is private in an age appropriate way of course

Good points Lesley but I find the 2 books I suggested appropriate too. Were Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood being as sensible as they could have been? I think if we are reading those stories to children and they still love them whatever their backgrounds then it is valid to point this out.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a children's book, but if anyone is interested in the subject of child protection and the concept of 'stranger danger' the book Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker is exceptionally good.

Scary when you start reading, but very informative. It puts a realistic perspective on stranger danger issues, and is a very easy read (if a little harrowing at times).

Hi, I've just bought The Spider and the Fly by Tony Diterlizzi, it's good for telling them to beware of situations and people. Might be a bit scarey though so I'm going to try it out on one or two who I know will be ok and discuss it with them first. Lovely pictures. Also bought a book by Anthony Browne, Voices in the park, brilliant for different points of view. :)

At our village summer fair on Saturday, two lovely community police ladies manned (womanned?) their own stall, giving out all sorts of freebies.

Amongst the freebies was a government soft-back safety booklet aimed at young children/parents. It covers "stranger danger"/secrets/"saying no"/what should a lost child do, and all pitched at probably ages 3+. Quite nicely written. I can't give specifics at the moment, as I have lent it to my setting's leader, but should get it back within the next day or so.

The two lovely people will come out to our pre-school (I am in Cambridgeshire by the way) and talk to our children (they also offered to come out in the evening and talk to our parents). They will talk, interact, do Q&A, bring all these community reinforcers (copies of that book for everyone, first guide to highway code - probably age 6+, plus lots of parent info).

Also, they hand out lots of other reinforcers (policemen/women hand puppets with the "say no to strangers" message), fluffy policemen (no women lol) with wobbly eyes, coloured pencils, pencils, rulers, all carrying safety messages. These are the sorts of things that get parents to take notice when their child takes them home to have fun with.

I will post details of the "safety" book. If anyone in Cambs. would like a telephone contact number for the community police people, just PM me.

Diane.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)