Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Confusion

I am a little confused as i look into which uni to do my degree with!Can anyone help?

One uni offers the single honours early years education which is part time and one afternnonn one evening a week for FOUR YEARS

Another offers a FD in early years leadership education or practise depending on which one you decide is the bestfor you again one afternoon one evening but is TWO YEARS!

Will the first one be higher then the second because im confused about the big diference in time :o The problem is all this uni jargon is a foriegn lang to me!

Also with the first you only need your nvq but the second you need o'level maths and english!

Guest Wolfie

A single honours degree means a "full" honours degree if you like - a BA, BSc, BEd or whatever - if you were doing it full time it would usually take you three years. A Foundation Degree is equivalent to the first two years of a full honours degree only; some students choose to top it up to a full honours degree when they finish but the choice is yours.

The full honours degree usually requires that you have studied to level 3 beforehand; entry requirements for a Foundation Degree are usually slightly lower, hence they are only asking for study to 'O' level standard.

thanks wolfie :)

So the first would be enough to then go on and do the eyps?

The second 2yr one i would have to do more?

But it was the 2yr one then wanted maths and eng the 4yr one I could do it with my nvq3 in childcare! That is what i am confused about i think :o

So what is the majority doing on here 2yr or 4yr?

Have just looked at another uni site that explains it a little better.If I do the 2 year course i will then have to do the 15months validation pathway to get eyp status!and a BA in Early childhood studies. Which isnt fair really cos my colleague who is a teacher but only has early years experience since working with us nearly 2yrs ago is doing the 6month validation and Im her boss with many more years experience!!Never mind lets not go down that route again we wont make any sense of it! xD

i take it if i do the 4yr course i could do the 3month validation.Decisions decisions I hate making them!!! :o

I recently went to a presentation by Edge Hill University at our LEA. I am fairly certain that we were told the validation period depended on how many and what gaps you had, and in some cases it could be as little as 3 months........ Our LEA are working with Edge Hill and we can access the course locally too. Anyone else got a similar opportunity?

Hi LJW,

i too went to a edge hill presentation evening and that is the 2year course Im looking at but chester uni(based at warrington campus) do a 4year course and you dont need to take maths or English I was a little confused about the time difference and wether doing the 2 year course meant you still had further to go!And was the workload heavier on the shorter one?Can anyone lighten me to how many years you are doing and the difference in material?Please :)

I currently mentor a student on 2 yr foundation degree, for this she needed NVQ3 and as she is a more mature student they did not ask for experience of working in a setting, now I know they ask for a minimum of 2 yrs in a setting as well. It has been hard work doing 3 modules at the same time and trying to gain managerial experience, learning to study again etc etc

at end of this yr she has 2 options...

stop....there, @level5

to go for eyps status, (this is when she need English & maths C or above to do this) 15 months course and the critical point is it is FUNDED....

or, providing she gets enough points, do her 3rd yr for her full degree and then do EYPS the shorter route but this she has to fund 3rd yr herself!! and attend the local Uni for 1 day a week against using the college 1 day a week for the first 2 yrs. (she still needs her eng/math for the EYPS but not the 3rd yr. for her degree.)

same length of time but one is funded the other not so depends on what she want to do at the end, move on to teaching or work in children's centre/ nursery/pre-school etc.

therefore the route or qualification gained is partly dependant on funds, and where you want to go or see yourself working once you have completed it.

It just seems that the Uni you use has a bearing on the courses offered,

Good luck in making your decision

Inge

I currently mentor a student on 2 yr foundation degree, for this she needed NVQ3 and as she is a more mature student they did not ask for experience of working in a setting, now I know they ask for a minimum of 2 yrs in a setting as well. It has been hard work doing 3 modules at the same time and trying to gain managerial experience, learning to study again etc etc

at end of this yr she has 2 options...

stop....there, @level5

Inge

I'm interested that you say she will be level 5 because my NN did exactly the same as you describe and is considered to be level 4.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)