Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Make A Pentagon Den - Its Easy (honest!)

How_To_Make_A_Pentagon_Den.docI've put this in the patterns sub-category on here, then realised it may get more views here!!!

I recently went on a course entitled 'VISUAL ARTS INSPIRED BY REGGIO EMILIO'. It was simply amazing and I'd like to share a fantastic activity with you. With any luck I've successfully attached it to this post! If not let me know.

Its a pentagon den which you can make on any scale using anything from art straws to 8ft bamboo canes (did this, wouldn't recommend it for a fist though!!)

They are really easy to make once you get the gist of it and the opportunities are endless!!

I dare you to make one!!

Lucy x

Ohh thank you I love a challenge! :D

Put straws on the shopping list for tomorrow and may be big and brave and post a pic of my attempt!!

We recently got a teepee for the pre-school, one that is put together with a pole type frame work and fabric over the top.

We just put all the pieces on the floor and let the children have a go! It was brilliant and I doubt the adults alone would have got it assembled correctly - so not feeling over confident about my ability to make a pentagon den but definitely going to give it a try :D

Well done for trying (she says in her most nursery voice possible)!!!

Oh and good luck. They really are quite easy, particularly if you can make a small one first to see how it all works!!

Lucy x

That looks fantastic i am going to show the team and have a go.

My only worry is if it will stand up to my confident,full of fun and very active pre-school groups.

bookworm

That looks really good. Can I just ask, how sturdy is it? :)

If you secure the corners then they are really quite sturdy. The shorter the canes the more robust but you can always peg them into the ground with tent pegs, either by hooking the pegs over the cane or by drilling through the cane and staking it down!

Did you make it before the children arrived or were they there? I bet they wondered what was going on!!

The one in the photographs was made on the course I went on so only adults there! However I made the huge one with the children. Wouldn't recommend it to be honest!!! Not on such a grand scale. Every time I lay a cane down it would disappear and become an 8ft sword!

I'm intending making a much smaller one that the children can crawl into and will make that with them.

The children wern't able to help much either to be honest as securing the corners on such a big structure needed to be done really well and as much as they tried...!

I did get them all outside to help lift it though which was rather lovely and prompted a great discussion about teamwork.

Lucy x

• 1 month later...

Am thinking of doing this next week - anyone else tried it? I have made one with straws so can see how it all works, just wondered what size would people who have done this recommend? Also where can you get bamboo canes from or is there anything else I can use? I do want it to be fairly sturdy though.

I made one at home with my own children using 5 foot canes fom Homebase/B&Q. I pre drilled the holes and the girls help put it together while my cheeky lad ran of with the canes. It was quite big and fairly sturdy and stood up to all the pounding my 3, 9 & 11 year olds threw at it. Can't find the bit for the camera to download the photo but I'll keep looking.

Karrie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)