Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grandmother's Footsteps

Hi

Does anyone know how you play this game? We have the game at school, but not the instructions!

Here's hoping... :D

Thanks Fox xx

Guest Wolfie

Is at a board game? The only Grandmother's Footsteps game that I know is the playground one, where one child is Grandmother and turns to face the wall and all the other children try to creep up on her from the other side of the playground without her seeing; if she turns round and sees you moving then you're out! A bit like What's the Time Mr Wolf but without the "One O'clock", "Two O'clock", etc.!!

I think yours must be different - what's in the game?

I Googled it because I wasn't too sure about it and lo and behold I found this. It is what I call Black Pudding, as that was what it was called in Yorkshire where i grew up.

Rules:

This game is also called Sly fox, Peep behind the curtain or Black pudding.

One player is IT and stands at base (a wall or line). IT must have their back to the other players who stand in a line facing IT about 10 metres away.

The players try to sneak up on IT and touch their back without IT turning around and seeing them move.

Before IT can ever turn round, they must count to 10 or say a rhyme such as “L-O-N-D-O-N spells London” or “One, two, three, four, five jam tarts”.

They can say this quietly, under their breath, so the other players can’t hear and don’t know when IT is about to turn round.

The players have to stand stock still when IT turns around. If they are seen moving they must return to the wall. the winner is the person who touches IT's back and shout "Black Pudding' or whatever, and then they in their turn become IT.

Sounds a bit like "whats the time Mr Wolf" or a variation. we play with our children at pre-school.

Takes me back to the good old days of games without screens!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies, but it is a table top card game with numbered foot cards (i.e. one foot per card) and 4 granny cards :o

Guest Wolfie

Is there a dice - or could you make one? Maybe you throw a dice and pick up a corresponding number of foot cards - but if you throw the Granny picture you have to put them all back? You could make some kind of track to move along with the footprints with Granny at the end? That would link it to the playground game we all know so would make sense? :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)