Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Has Anyone Completed The E115 Fd Course

Hi,

Has anyone studied the E115 Course as part of there FD? I am thinking of taking this one on next as I have comleted the E123 and E124 and was wondering if anyone could let me know a little bit about the E115 giving their view on it. I have read the description and it sound like their is lots of paperwork but it doesn't sound too bad.

Any Views would be appreicated before I decide on the next step.

Many Thanks

HI Scampbell

I have just finished my FD with the OU (awaiting results of final course ECA). I started in 2003 with the first presentation of E123 and all my subsequent courses (E124. E243, E230. E115 E215) have also been first presentations.

E115 is very different from E123/124. Yes there is alot of paperwork but I enjoyed it. It involves collecting evidence from your practice to meet the Early Years Core Learning Outcomes as detailed by the DfES. There are 12 of these outcomes and each one has it's own form which is completed during the course. The assignments for E115 consist of two types. One is the usual essay style and the other is the submission of the EYCLO forms. These are submitted in batches as TMA's.

In basic terms you collect 'hard' evidence of your practice which is filed in your Personal Evidence Folder (PEF) This folder does not get routinely submitted but may be requested by the OU at any time. The EYCLO forms detail and explain the evidence you have in the file and all the forms need to be signed by your 'confirmer' - someone who knows your practice and signs to confirm the evidence you have listed reflects your practice and that the items are filed in your PEF.

Hope that doesn't sound too garbled! I think the secret of E115 is to be organised with your paperwork and find a system that works for you - like any new course I found some confusion to start with but it soon all fell into place :D

I am interested that you are thinking of E115 as your next course and wonder (and hope you don't mind me asking!) if you have thought of the level 2 courses and whether you are going for route 1 or 2?

I had no real choice over the order in which I studied courses as each one was a new presentation but with the benefit of hindsight I am really glad that I did my level 2 courses before I did E115. I am also glad that I did not have a huge gap between completing E115 and starting E215. E215 builds on E115 and includes the EYCLO forms introduced in 115.

There are course reviews on the OU website and you will see quite a few negative comments about E115 but I know I am not the only one who really enjoyed it and of course it is a compulsory course for the FD.

Oh! one other thing, do you use the first class conferencing? If not I would recommend you play around and familiarise yourself with it. Participation in this conferencing is compulsory in E115 whereby you must contribute to specific discussions in your tutor group conference. It also plays a part in E215 where participation in tutor and route conferences is compulsory and one TMA is dependant on contributions!

Good luck with your decison making and if I can help at all give me a shout :D

• 8 months later...
HI Scampbell

I have just finished my FD with the OU (awaiting results of final course ECA). I started in 2003 with the first presentation of E123 and all my subsequent courses (E124. E243, E230. E115 E215) have also been first presentations.

E115 is very different from E123/124. Yes there is alot of paperwork but I enjoyed it. It involves collecting evidence from your practice to meet the Early Years Core Learning Outcomes as detailed by the DfES. There are 12 of these outcomes and each one has it's own form which is completed during the course. The assignments for E115 consist of two types. One is the usual essay style and the other is the submission of the EYCLO forms. These are submitted in batches as TMA's.

In basic terms you collect 'hard' evidence of your practice which is filed in your Personal Evidence Folder (PEF) This folder does not get routinely submitted but may be requested by the OU at any time. The EYCLO forms detail and explain the evidence you have in the file and all the forms need to be signed by your 'confirmer' - someone who knows your practice and signs to confirm the evidence you have listed reflects your practice and that the items are filed in your PEF.

Hope that doesn't sound too garbled! I think the secret of E115 is to be organised with your paperwork and find a system that works for you - like any new course I found some confusion to start with but it soon all fell into place :D

I am interested that you are thinking of E115 as your next course and wonder (and hope you don't mind me asking!) if you have thought of the level 2 courses and whether you are going for route 1 or 2?

I had no real choice over the order in which I studied courses as each one was a new presentation but with the benefit of hindsight I am really glad that I did my level 2 courses before I did E115. I am also glad that I did not have a huge gap between completing E115 and starting E215. E215 builds on E115 and includes the EYCLO forms introduced in 115.

There are course reviews on the OU website and you will see quite a few negative comments about E115 but I know I am not the only one who really enjoyed it and of course it is a compulsory course for the FD.

Oh! one other thing, do you use the first class conferencing? If not I would recommend you play around and familiarise yourself with it. Participation in this conferencing is compulsory in E115 whereby you must contribute to specific discussions in your tutor group conference. It also plays a part in E215 where participation in tutor and route conferences is compulsory and one TMA is dependant on contributions!

Good luck with your decison making and if I can help at all give me a shout :D

Hi im Jenna!

I have only just joined the fsf! so everything is new to me! i have just statred the E115 course, it is very dauting at first! What material ddid/have u collected for EYCLO 1, 3 and 7? It would be a real help if you could get bakc to me on this! Good luck with the course!

Hi, I am also doing E115, and finding it really hard, not so much the activities but what you can use for your EYCLO's, I to am stuck on what to put in 1,3,7. Having a meeting with my link officer on friday so was going to pick her brains.

Good luck

Sarah

Guest cathy m

The PPA sheets are useful to give you ideas for evidence in the eyclo's

EYCLO 1: acess review and update own knowledge of significant and emerging practice

a) Responses to any consultations you have taken part in

:o Self evaluation form

c) ofsted report

d) equal opps policy

EYCLO 3: work with other professionals

a) meetings with other professionals

xD Questionnaire responses

c) newsletters you have produced

d) mentoring others

EYCLO 7: work with parents to enhance their children's learning and development

a) discussions with parents, questionnaires, meetings

:( parental involvement policy

c) PEAL training

d) progress reports

hope this ideas help

cathy

Guest cathy m

My key question was:

Why is it important to work in partnership with parents and other professionals?”

I devised 2 questionnaires, one for parents and the other for professionals

Cathy

My key question was:

Why is it important to work in partnership with parents and other professionals?”

I devised 2 questionnaires, one for parents and the other for professionals

Cathy

Thanks for the help Cathy, i have no problems with the parents part but the professionals i work with are all to busy to fill in a questionnaire, how did you get on? Also how many questions did you use? I missed my last tutorial and am quite confused, this course is unlike any i have undertaken!

Guest cathy m

I emailed a couple of 'other professionals' and they emailed back the completed questionnaire. I don't know what setting you work in (I'm a registerd childminder) but I asked the playgroup supervisor, nursery teacher, health visitor, childminding support officer and a couple of people in my local early years service to complete mine. Don't forget colleagues, they may be willing. You could ask things like:

Do you find me approachable?

Have I been able to answer your enquiries?

How do you prefer contact - face-to-face, telephone, email?

I produced the questionnaire in table format leaving enough space for their responses.

Hope this helps

Cathy

I emailed a couple of 'other professionals' and they emailed back the completed questionnaire. I don't know what setting you work in (I'm a registerd childminder) but I asked the playgroup supervisor, nursery teacher, health visitor, childminding support officer and a couple of people in my local early years service to complete mine. Don't forget colleagues, they may be willing. You could ask things like:

Do you find me approachable?

Have I been able to answer your enquiries?

How do you prefer contact - face-to-face, telephone, email?

I produced the questionnaire in table format leaving enough space for their responses.

Hope this helps

Cathy

Yes that helps loads thanks. I am a pre-school leader and have a development worker and colleagues who would reply but we have visits from others such as SENDIS and child psychologist and I would feel a bit rude asking? I suppose I could use that fact for analysis?

Thanks once again

Hello I completed E115 as part of the Foundation Degree, which thank goodness I have passed this year. I found it really hard but only because I had such a lot going on in my life at the time. You need to be really organized and you must not think that you can get away with not getting all the evidence together. I was one of the students who was picked at random to submit their evidence folder. It was huge! I had a few sleepless nights finishing it off properly as there were bits I had left out.

I think that as the Foundation Degree carries on things that caused problems for us early birds hopefully will be sorted out, I still feel that this course did not teach me much and it felt like an NVQ and paper collecting exercise but others did enjoy it.

Good luck!

Teri

I have been searching for evidence for EYCLO'S 1,3 and7 all morning and am really stuck I have a self evaluation form and a couple of training certificates so far! can anyone offer any ideas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)