Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our New Walking Rope.

I have just finished making our walking rope this was a great task as i hate to even replace a button let alone create 24 handles on the rope!

We have given it a test run and it was great. Our playgroup is in the middle of a small town so walking the children to grassey areas etc was hard work.

We would find that as we walked though town people wouldn't see us and cut through the middle of us as they came out from shops etc.

Now every one can see us and have no choice but to stay in the door way and let us pass instead of pushing through.

I was worried that the children would not like it but so far it has gone down very well. It was so much safer this way as the children are kept together and the adults can quickly move from one child to the next.

The rope was easy to make, just a length of thick cord ( found in the huge DIY stores)with strips of material/braiding (Again from the same shop) tied on (so as you can move or remove them) then the ends of the material/braiding looped over to form handles and then stiched to hold. This was so much cheaper than the special equipment you can buy this cost about £30.00 in total. I am now looking for some bells to attach so as we can be heard as well as seen! The new rope combined with our new hi viz jackets for the children really makes us stand out in the town. We are looking into buying some back packs for staff, so as we can store the rope and jackets, each one will have a small first aid kit and a walky talky so as we can grab the back packs and go, not sure what else to pack in them as yet, what else do you take on your walks?

Sounds really good Lesley. Do you have a photograph you could either post in this thread or in the gallery? I'm sure members would love to see it in action!

When we go for walks we take the mobile phone, tissues (small handy packs), and sometimes a clip board and paper and pen so that we can jot down things the children talk about. We often go for particular walks, eg a colour walk, sounds walk, looking for flowers/plants walk. Oh and of course the camera-never go anywhere without the camera!!!

Linda

I'll add the camera to the list & the clip board is a good idea. I'll take photos on the next walk. I need to take lots of photos as we do not have a useful outside area. It was recommended by our E Y A to create a big board full of how we do things to make up for not having a outside play area. It was suggested that then when Ofsted arrive the evidence would be there to view and that we acknowledge this is a issue but here is how we work around the problem. Thanks for the ideas!!

wet wipes, we also now take an ice pack in addition to 1st aid kit - having recently had a head bump whilst out - this was invaluable.

I have a lovely vision of you all trundling through town Lesley :) I think your idea of backpacks is good too as ofcourse aswell as all other things there is the register/contact numbers to take thank you i too would love to see a photo :)

Guest tinkerbell

it sounds like a super idea.We have adult Hi VIZ jackets and they work well when you have to stand in the road cos the pavements have all but disapeared (country living!)We may be getting some money for jackets for the children

Tinkerbellx

I looked for ages & ages to find a supplier of hi viz vests for children. A company called supplies for industries can supply childrens vests for about £1.35 each. These are very good and arrived quickly. The printing was more expensive than the clothing!!!

That's a good idea Lesley to show how you get round not having an outside space. We have access to the garden at the front of the church but it isn't something we can just let the children go out to when they like. We really have to go out as a whole group. I could make up a small board or photo album specifically to show what we do. Thanks.

Linda

I have a lovely vision of you all trundling through town Lesley :) I think your idea of backpacks is good too as ofcourse aswell as all other things there is the register/contact numbers to take thank you i too would love to see a photo :)

We have all contact numbers stored in the mobile phone under childs name. :D

Peggy

I looked for ages & ages to find a supplier of hi viz vests for children. A company called supplies for industries can supply childrens vests for about £1.35 each. These are very good and arrived quickly. The printing was more expensive than the clothing!!!

Here is the link

Supplies for Industry

Thanks Lesley, great prices. :D

Peggy

Well done Lesley- I look forward to a picture of it in action :)

We are lucky here - pupils at my daughters' school all get a provided with a free Hi Viz jacket once a year (Scotland and very rural). Thankfully this year they are all the correct size - last year they all had ones for a 12 yr old and the oldest was only 7!

Megsmum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)