Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problems In Our Unit!

Magenta

Hi All

We are in our third year of running our FSU, lots of changes in that time!

Our Headteacher spoke to me last week of his concerns!

From the beginning we have worked through the sessions with no formal breaks (8.45 - 12.00 and 1.15 - 3.30), staff have been o.k. with this, someone always makes a drink for those who want one, and comfort breaks can usually be taken during snack time or CI Play.

The Head is concerned because staff are becoming tired and stressed which is resulting in above average staff absence, he would like us to reinstate playtimes and assembly for F2.

I know this really goes against philosophy of FSU, but I can't see any way around it. There isn't any scope in our timetable for staff to have breaks. I feel like I'll be letting the children down, but the staff absence has caused a lot of disruption to the chn.s education and their behaviour.

The children's behaviour is also a cause for concern, F2 children do a lot of running around and are not always focussed. We also find that many children find comfort in staying in their base room, and so miss out on many other areas, we find this especially the case for F1 chn.

We seem to be reverting to an Early Years Unit more and more, but in some ways I feel it would be easier.

We're in the process of discussing these issues and would value your opinions.

I am especially concerened about how Ofsted would view chn. going out for playtime when we have a wonderful enclosed outdoor area!

Well we are a two class reception and we too have done away with morning play. Took a while for the staff to get used to it... but one of use pops out at snack time to make tea for us all. quite often the children will go out into the reception playground during this time and other times they just have snack and then continue with the activities on offer.

We still have to go to assemblies.

We are not a unit so cannot advise there but will watch this thread with interest.

L

This is a really difficult one to answer. I also work in a FS unit and I am aware that other teaching assistanst and support staff working in other key stages have regular allocate breaks and also what may be present in terms of staff contracts. Personally I feel that it is about how the staff/ team feel about what they are doing and why but with our TA's moving from year to year it can be difficult for staff to adjust to a loss of a break time for adults and also how beneficial this can be for adults depending on the children/ adults / circumstances that they work in. In an ideal work I would prefer that there was no artificial break time- that play and learning could be continuous. However this is the reality in our setting. We do stop for a break time before we sepearte into our separate year groups (N/R) at 10.50. The break time includes our group time and an outdoor session which we continous provision of activities allowling free play across our split level playground. These include small apparatus activities, role play/ dressing up, sand, water (seasonal due to inadequate facilitlies), construction with larger equipment, small world, using resources from inside outside as appropriate. During this 20 minute session staff have 10 minute slots to have a break/ toliet etc. this seems to work reaonably well unless you are on the last slot/ or are first aider (as our Nursery nurse is which eats into her time and shortens her break but its hard to catch time up). I have to say I use my break time to sort out the separte Nursery time activities and do not often 'take a break' but thats my choice- the other two members of the team are outside with the children and then come in to carry out a 10 minute write dance session.

I have to sya I did spend time in a FS unit where the timings of the day had been adjusted and were slightly different (by about 15 minutes start time from the rest of the school so that N and R finished at 11.30am and the teaching team had there break with the children but agin much as I would like to see this idea of staff having a break time with the children with staff changing year on year and having differnent expectations of what a break is its difficult to encourage. At the end of the day you have to do what works the best for your setting including children and staff.

Sorry long ramble (and I'm only half happy with what we ahve but we do try to make the break time a learning time through encouraging social interaction/ turn taking/ observations and adult interactions with games and songs)

Lisa

We don't currently work as FSU but do have a N & R in combined early years building.

Both N & R have own outdoor areas and so no 'playtime' and therefore no formal break for staff.

N staff work 21/2 hrs each session, R staff have 3 hr morning.

Staff all have drink and sit-down with children at snack-time - whole-class in R, or snack bar in N - staff alternate times to have their drink.

Only staff who have a break are those who work through morning & then run lunch club - staff rotas are organised accordingly to accomodate this.

This is interesting. We don't work as a unit althouhg i have doe in the past and would love to again. We do timetable breaks, I don't think my staff would cope if they were taken away, having said that, Ive always worked without one. We have tried to move away from the idea of 'playtime' but old habits and culture are heard to break. We have an allocated slot where we take a 15 minute break during which time there are two indoor activities available and the outdoors is available. The indoor activities are run on a rota and those people have a break whilst snack is taking place, then the rest of the staff split the outdoor time between them. It isn't ideal, not at all, especially as we have a minuscule outdoor area for 100 children.

Magenta, can you ask the staff about how they feel about reinstating the break system and whether or not they think it would make for better attendance and health?

If you have to go done this path, is it possible to leave some but not all of you unit open as well as outdoors so that staff can take a short break. When I did work in a unit we did this as 2rooms were next to the outdoors, so we kept those open and then closed off for a short periods the rooms that were further away. It may not be perfect, but there is probably a solution to allocate break times and keep flow?

I am the phase leader in large school and work in the FS unit ( I have the F2 Jan intake). None of my team have a 'break' as such. The F2 and F1 children free flow with a snack area in the middle which they use as and when. It is not ideal but we manage somehow. Someone always makes a drink and depending on the area you are based in that day you just drink it as and when. We also have a famiily setting for dinner, laying the tables, serving the food, eating with the children, its all really important for their social skills and the whole team are involved. We do not go to assemblies or have set playtimes the outdoors is avaliable to the children from 9.30 in the morning. I think it depends on how your staff view their role. My team are role models for the children amd do a lot of modelling. My staff absenses are rare.

Just a thought. At our recent ofsted it was very clearly a no no to have hot drinks in the room with the children unless they were in a non spill mug. This makes having a drink with the children at snack time very tricky. The mugs are ok but do make the tea taste very funny!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)