Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paganism

Sue R

Hi I'm Sue from Kimberley, a small town on the outskirts of Nottingham. Working in a Day Nursery in Nottingham, very happy I am there, too!

My big interests are Equal Opps and Multicultural issues. We have recently welcomed a Pagan (Wicca) family to our setting and, whilst knowing a certain amount about the topic would welcome any input anyone may have with regard to settling them and making them feel part of 'the family'.

Cheers! :D

Hi Sue, not sure I've welcomed you in before so---welcome aboard. :D

Can't help you on this one though. Haven't the family given you any clues if they've identified themselves as such. I guess you will have to treat easter cautiously but then not everyone is Christian in our multicultural setting so I do tend to say "in my house its a special time because....." and similiarly for other festivals.

Good luck. Hope someone will have some other experiences they can help you with.

Susan

Hi there Sue. I would initially welcome them in in the same way that you would any other child, using your usual routines.

From what I know, the Wicca religion is vrey spiritual, centres around nature and the cycles of the sun/earth/moon. Im sure they will have celebrated the spring equinox last weekend for example, and will also celebrate full moon.

But from the only experience I have of teaching Wicca children, they are quite individualstic so there isnt a set ...this is what Wiccans believe..' Please correct me if I am wrong on this, as it is quite a few years ago.

I also dont remember there being any issues over us celebrating other religious festivals, but I would ask the parents just in case. I know we had a family last year that could not celebrate birthdays, Christmas etc and they were very forthcoming in telling us. Better to ask first than to find out later that you have accidently offended the family.

if you have specific questions, please come back with them :o

Hi Alison, and anyone else who may be interested. I've found a rather interesting, fact-filled site devoted to Paganism - www.paganfed.demon.co.uk It's not particularly helpful from the FS standpoint, but gives lots of insight into modern (and traditional) Paganism. Well worth a visit.

Mum turns out to be great, has lent me a useful publication called "The Pagan Child", again, not that helpful in terms of practice, but insightful regarding the homelife of a pagan child.

And mundia - yes, they are certainly individuals!! Our little girl is definitely making her mark. :o I'm really looking forward to 'growing' her in our setting, and learning more about her life.

Sue,

In case I don't get to speak to you again, I hope all goes well with your stay in hospital. I won't be in the chat room tonight as I've got to go out. Did you say you went in tomorrow? Anyway, look forward to having a good chat with you when you get out. Read your member details and saw you liked fantasy, science fiction and hard rock. Me too!

Hi sue

I am New to these forums, and what a lovely surprise to see Paganism as a topic heading :D My very best friends are Pagans and have a multitude of lovely resources for children. I shall be seeing them this weekend and will hopefully have some interesting activities/suggestions to post.

Trea x :)

Hi trea!!! Welcome, hello...

You're a star if you can do that!

Have always had an interest, but lacked resources and a reason to pursue. Recent position has made me realise none of that really matters, just follow your instincts. Really glad you are in a position to help.

I will be going into hospital tomorrow, and off the site for approx 2 weeks, so please don't take it personally if I don't get back too quickly. But please post, in case someone else needs it! I can always read at my 'crutched' leisure on my return from 'incarceration'! :D

Meanwhile - enjoy! It's a great site!! :o

Sue

Hi everyone, you all sound so lovely :D been made very welcome, Thank you :) yes sue I think we may have many things in common, just the fact you like jeff Buckley is all right by me! :D

I hope your stay in hospital is not too bad, My husband fractured his heel (fell off top of tanker!!!) and was in for a week, he is home now but can't put any pressure what so ever on his foot for 6 weeks!!! :o and will be off work for at least 10 weeks (aaaahhhhgggg :D ) he did ask for a bell to ring when he needed something! but i politely told him where he could shove it :D:DxD:(

Trea x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there - trea, did you manage to pick your friends' brains when you saw them? Hospital was not so bad, but glad to be home, if not as active as I would like to be. Also sitting at computer hurts after a while! :o

Anyway, catch you later. Did you see the posting by Helen Wall? Another Buckley fan? :D:D

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)