Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling Year 1 Teachers

Hi,

I have just returned from my second GTP placement, (which went really well) anyway some of the children are doing the ELS programme and working with a TA from 8:45 until around 9:30.

Whilst they are doing this the other children are doing a variety of settling activities and then register etc Then the teacher i am working alongside does phonics until the ELS bunch come back when she starts the literacy imput.

This means the children have been sitting on the carpet or at a table for upto 50 :o minutes (bar a bit of brain gym) before starting their activity

I am concerned on two accounts, first for those children doing ELS who have a very busy start to the day, no let up until assembley when guess what they move to sit down again, second for the children not doing ELS who have sat down for such a long time even though the activities are as interactive as possible.

There is also no time to actually finish anything, their books are filled with excellent but unfinished work which is giving the children all the wrong signals about how much we value their ideas.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how we can improve this? The TA is prepared to be flexible and I have a certain amount of "but we have always done it this way" but I feel I can justify a change i just need ideas of how others implement the ELS programme.

Thanks in advance

Sharon

We also tend to do ELS in the afternoon. We let the children stay for the lesson input then they go off and do ELS. This means that they are back in time for the next activity but have not missed the actual lesson intro.

ELS shouldn't take that long, it is designed to be a support programme not a lesson replacement and as I remember it a lot of the follow up work in the classroom should be based upon it including the children's contributions to literacy to allow them to operate at an appropriate level.

When I was in Year 1 we did it half hour before lunch time. This worked well. The ret of the children did speaking and listneing activities- show and tell, word reading games, numeracy games, I Spy..., drama, puppets or just sat down and had a story.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)