Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E123 E124 Open University

Hi, is there anyone out there doing their foundation degree with the open university i.e E123 and E124, if so it would be great to share ideas and support one another.

Safia :D

Hi, i have just b egun both courses e123 and e124, having been told these would qualify me at level 4. However i have been informed that my LA do not have this qualification on their recognised list. I have asked for help and it is now being discussed.

Has anyone else had this problem or do their LA accept it.

thanks all

nicola

E123 and E124 can be linked (via your OU student homepage) to the Certificate in Early Years Practice which is recognised as level 4. The Certificate is not automatically sent you need to let the OU know that you wish to claim this qualification.

Not sure why there is any confusion over recognition as it is listed on the National Qualification Framework.

Sorry I must refresh my memory of how to add a direct link ! You can find the information on this website

http://www.qca.org.uk/493_15774.html

Good luck with your study and hope you enjoy it:-)

I started with E123 in it's first presentation back in 2003 and have been studying part time ever since. I sent my final ECA in a couple of weeks ago and that's me finished for the Foundation Degree in Early years - just got the nail biting wait until results are out in April!

Yes i have linked it to the certificate to enable me to get it at the end of the course. I have got an advisor who is going to have a meeting with my human resources department this week. So fingers crossed it will soon be sorted. My problem is i passed NVQ2 and did the course for NVQ3 but was offered the position im in now 6 years ago and foolishly never handed my coursework in, thus not getting the qualification. Hence i am at the top of my scale for level 2 unqualified and will not receive any more pay rises until i get this ou certificate recognised.

Thanks for your help

nicola

Hi Safia

I'm doing E123 and this is my first time with the OU. Finding it very hard to keep within the word count, am half way through drafting my TMA.

Same here! :o getting a bit nervous about having the time to get it done, it's due in in a couple of weeks. xD

Same here Jo. Had felt reasonably in control but haven't done any studying for 2 weeks and now here we are 1st March. Started study topic 3 today, not sure how much went in if I'm honest though.

Hi Yes I am doing E123 & E124 have finished both TMA01s and got them within word count!!!

I was going to be doing a level 4 qulification but have found out that I can transfer credits from part of a teaching degree that I did a few years back and turn it into an open degree and LEA said they would fund me providing the rest of the modules I did were Early Years ones so it looks like I will get a full degree out of it - I am well chuffed.

Safia are you using the first class conferences? I think I might have seen your name on there

Deb

Hi All

I'm doing E124 - just finished my first draft of TMA01 -oh boy ... where did all those words go?!!!

I agree with Safia it wd be good to share ideas and support each other.

Jax

Hi i am also doing E123 and E124 i have drafted my tma 1 for e123 and have done my part in the word allowance but haven't put any references in yet, on the ou site someone said the questions are included in the word count, surely thats not right if it is then im really struggling. Would appreciate any ideas on this.

Thanks

Nicola

• 2 months later...

Has anybody done EZL123 EZL124 route through the ou? I have just registered to start July 07. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Christine

• 1 month later...
Has anybody done EZL123 EZL124 route through the ou? I have just registered to start July 07. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Christine

I registered for EZL123 today.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just sent off my application for E124 to start in October. I thought better get it over with in case I do decide to go on to do E115 next year.

I got my TMA02 (E123) back and got another B - I'm so pleased with myself!!! :D

Hope everyone else did OK with TMA02!!

Hi Jo

Snap, got a B again in TMA2 and obtaining funding for E124 in October. Am going to start study topic 9 tomorrow on my day off. Was a bit busy last week with Ofsed arriving at last.

Hope everyone else is happy with their results.

Hi, is there anyone out there doing their foundation degree with the open university i.e E123 and E124, if so it would be great to share ideas and support one another.

Safia :D

Hi ya,

I have been doing my foundation degree with OU what feels like forever... I have completed

E123 - 2003

E124 - 2004

E115 - 2006

E230 - 2005

E243 - 2005

I am working EK310

and start E215 in October.

If you need any help/ ideas or just to scream about it just shout. I have learnt loads from it. But it can be mind blowing at times.

Hello and welcome to the forum Jackie, I see this is your first post.

Just got a letter today confirming that I will get funding for E124 in October.

Edited by Deb

Hi,

I have just applied to start the E123 in October. E124 starts in Feb 08 but don't know whether to complete one before starting the other or to run them alongside. Just finished the DPP after 2 years so I am in the 'study' frame of mind. Any thoughts on this anyone?

MIRIAM :o

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katylouise1984

Hi Everyone!

Well I have done E123 and repeating E124 this year, I have done E115 and am on with U212. I have enrolled for E125 for October too. I find studying with the OU really hard so if anyone out there wants a helping hand I will do my very best! and if anyone is at the same stage as me I would be mega greatful to hear from you! :)

:o

Hi,

I have just applied to start the E123 in October. E124 starts in Feb 08 but don't know whether to complete one before starting the other or to run them alongside. Just finished the DPP after 2 years so I am in the 'study' frame of mind. Any thoughts on this anyone?

MIRIAM :o

Hi Miriam

I am doing both together and it is very hard work especially as I run a business and have two young children. However, the upside is It will have only taken 9 months to complete and then i will have a Level 4 qualification. I think in hindsight I would do them separately and if I do anymore courses the will be separate.

The first two Assignments on the courses I thought were really easy, but then I got a shock for the second two. A lot more is required for a level 4 and it is a big change from a DPP. But great learning two.

I would think about your home life first to decide what to do from there. If you have plenty of time going spare then run them both together. If not go separate

Good luck

Deb

I would agree with Deb. I am doing E123 now followed by E124 in October. I am glad I only did the one course because of my other commitments but a lot depends, as Deb says, on your other commitments.

Although E123 and E124 are both worth 30 points, and the later courses for the FD will be 60 points, I have heard it said that although E123 and E124 together equal 60 points the work is more than a 60 point course. Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Deb and Deb. My funding has come through for the E123 and E124 and I have decided to start the first in October this year and wait until Feb 08 to start the e124 - that way I will be four months into one before I start the other (make sense??) I only work 3 days a week and with my children aged 11 and 14 I will have plenty of study time in the week (hopefully!!) I see that there are quite a few others starting in October with the OU - I look forward to sharing ideas and helping anyone when I can.

Cheers

Miriam

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jo

Snap, got a B again in TMA2 and obtaining funding for E124 in October. Am going to start study topic 9 tomorrow on my day off. Was a bit busy last week with Ofsed arriving at last.

Hope everyone else is happy with their results.

I am due in october to start my E123 and E124. Can anyone advise what these units relate to and any reading books. I want to have a headstart in the holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've just filled out my forms for E123 & E124 to start Feb 08.....I want to do them but hope I'm not taking on too much!! Like everyone else my life is busy enough as it is but I feel it is a good step in the right direction xD

Any advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated :o

Like Serena, any titles of books to help get a head start would be great.

many thanks

mrsb

Good luck to you , it is good fun but hard work, as for books to get started they recommend you only use their course material but there is no harm in getting familair with FS/ECM/EYFS

Guest Wolfie

Would you recommend any of the OU course material to early years practitioners NOT doing the course - just to inform practice, etc.? I'm always on the look out for good books!! Can you buy their course materials without enrolling on the course?

Just did a google search for David Fulton and this book was the course book for either E123 or E124 can't remember which!

Supporting Children's Learning in the Early Years

Author(s) - Linda Miller, Jane Devereux

About the Title

This text should help teachers expand their knowledge and practical skills in the light of recent initiatives. The book is divided into three parts. Part One looks at how practitioners work together in supporting, planning for, and assessing young children's learning and looks at what is meant by inclusive provision. Part Two examines the early year curriculum in the four countries in the UK, covering the key areas of learning and the important role of ICT, and looks at approaches to working with children aged 0 to 3. Part Three considers professional practice and positive learning environments.

List Price: £16.99

ISBN: 9781853469763

ISBN-10: 1853469769

Publisher: David Fulton Publis

Publication Date: 06/08/2004

Pages: 256

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)