Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Homemade Games

Hi all

I am in the middle of making a bank of games. We dont have many in our setting and our children really need to enage in more turn taking play so i'm going to make some. If anyone already has some they would like to share i would be more than grateful.

Thank you

Lola

I have several lotto games made using clipart - is this the sort of thing you mean?

Some based on sets of vocabulary e.g. transport, some phonics based. We put them in our home-school link packs.

I went on a fab course once, can't remember the name of the speaker - sorry! But antway she made all her games from thngs like wrapping paper, serviettes and the like. They often have the characters the children are into at the moment and so the games really appeal to them. Playing counters can be made from different things too, depending on the age of the child; soft toys, McDonalds gifts, fabric conditioner lids, milk lids etc. Was a great talk and I have made my own games eversince. Also get the children to make games too. It is a great skill and they need to be able to explain the rules etc.

Liz...it wasn't Janet Rees by any chance was it? I've been on a Problem solving in maths course today run by her and she had some really good ideas that sound like the sort you mentioned! The best one I think was based on the Insey Winsey Spider game - instead of buying the shop one, which you lie flat on a table and therefore Insey isn't actually going "up" and "down" in the true sense of the word, she'd bought a length of grey pipe lagging and marked off lines with coloured masking tape...the spider was a hair scrunchie with a spider that fitted over the pipe and could be moved up and down. The dice was made out of a cube tissue box, covered with coloured paper and three suns/three rains on it!

She had also laminated a lot of characters from wrapping paper and serviettes and used them for all sorts of sorting activities and matching 1:1.

I might remember some more later! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Thanks for that about the Incy Wincy spider wolfie.

I made it today and it really highlighted 2 children who have no idea how to make the spider go up or down :o

I used 3 suns and 3 rains but changed to just 2 rains when it was taking ages to get the spider even off the floor.

Great idea :D

post-3139-1172254992_thumb.jpg

post-3139-1172255046_thumb.jpg

Have been in work today to start getting ready for Monday and have found a spider soft toy and a piece of foam pipe lagging! So we will be using our new game next week.

Thanks Wolfie for the brilliant idea-any more where that one came from?

Linda

Oh Rea, that's brilliant, it looks JUST like the one Janet showed us on the course!! There were some more ideas which I'll post later..........important Wolves match to go to today, need to get my jobs done this morning!! :o

One of Janet's most used resources seemed to be the animal hair scrunchies from the Bang on the Door range - she used the spider one for the Insey Winsey game and pointed out that they were useful because they hooked over the pipe lagging nicely and could move up and down. So she'd made lots of games based on the Insey idea but with different animals and linked to different stories. There's loads of those on Ebay, I've looked!

She'd also got hold of a set of animal shower caps from the same range - all farm animals - and linked it to Old MacDonald - she had another tissue box dice with pictures of six different animals on it, corresponding to the shower caps and sets of laminated pictures of the animals, say six of each animal; the children take it in turns roll the dice, put on the right shower cap and take the right picture from the pile. If the next child rolls the same animal, the first child hands the cap over but keeps the picture...and so on. At the end of the game, the children make lines of the pictures to see which animal they threw the most of. Hope I've explained it clearly enough! She ljnked it to very very early ideas about probability and pictorial representation, maybe more suitable for reception than nursery but some good turn taking opps there as well for younger children! Of course, there's the issue of "friends" being passed between heads?!?! :o Apparently the Oxfam shops have got loads of the animal Bang on the Door stuff at the moment, that's where she'd got all the animal pics to go with the shower caps.

She'd got hold of some minibeast wrapping paper and cut out and laminated all the different creatures - had a game about a minibeasts party, which creature was there going to be most of at the party - another tissue box dice with corresponding creatures - etc etc. You could get hold of any wrapping paper for that and do a game along the same lines, depending on children's interests - Bob the Builder, Dora the Explorer, Tweenies, etc. All early ideas of problem solving and probability again if you think about it.

We're doing beanstalks at the moment so decided we would make a game similar to Insey Winsey but with a beanstalk and a golden egg at the top - haven't decided which symbols to put on the dice yet, maybe an axe and something else?

Another problem solving one for the older children, more a discussion than an actual game, was using some soft toys and saying that they were going to a party together but had to go through a very narrow door to get in - the children explored the different orders in which the toys could get through the door, e.g. pig then cow then horse, cow then pig then horse, etc. She was very keen on problem solving skills and ideas of probability!! I did feel that a lot of her ideas were beyond our children in the nursery but it was certainly food for thought!

Edited by Wolfie

She obviously gets around a bit!! :) I would recommend her courses if anyone sees one advertised, though I have to say her I felt that her ideas were more suitable for reception/KS1 than nursery.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)