Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Neighbourhood Nursery

Well I was asked to keep you all posted on how the NNI Nursery was coming along and how I am getting planning together as part of my job description is to organise and oversee the planning curriculum for the whole nursery. The children will be from 6 weeks to 5 years!! :o

The nursery is still not fully open but the builders are sceduled to come in and finish off over the next few weeks so we should be properly open after Easter. It has been hard and we are still unsure exactly what is needed or expected of us in a Neighbourhood Nursery. It is very much needed and already we have children booked in with no advertising help, it has been through word of mouth. :D

We are really hoping to help the family as a whole through this initiative. Caring for the children but also supporting the parents, by giving help and advice on training, getting back to work, caring for their children, etc,

I am hoping that we will be able to help parents with a book/video lending library for their children. Also a adult book library with books to help and support them with their child. We are also hoping that we will be able to enable access to a computer should they need to use it to write letters, CV's, etc. Any other ideas/sugestions will be gratefully received.

Well thats it for now. I will let you know how it is going in a few months time when we will be 'hopefully' up and running!! :):D:D:D:D:D

Guest rhodessj

Dear Dreean

I am involved in a similar project in my village, we've got planning permission and expect the announcement about major funding very soon.

Our building will be two halves, one is a permanent sole-use base for the Pre-School and the other is a Community room for an Out of School Club. While its not being used by OOSC, we're thinking of other potential users and have got a Mother & Toddler Group organised. We're planning a Toy Library, visiting health professionals (we're rurally based, so such things are an issue); training courses and a "Learning Lounge". We have a few other ideas, but the ethos of the centre is children & families based, so we can't go down the route of OAP lunch clubs etc and we can't tread on toes of other groups (such as Church) who are trying to diversify in order to survive. None of our rooms will be large enough to hire out for wedding receptions or the like.

Anyway, I'd be interested to read other peoples' ideas too and perhaps put them forward for our project. If you think I can offer any other help or more information on any of our ideas, let me know. Good luck...

Sandra :D

Many thanks for your reply. Sounds like you have your hands full too!! :o

We also have a toy library but it is very small and not run very well as far as I can see. There is also a family point session where parents can come in and get help and advice from professionals. Hopefully we will enhance this.

Hope all goes well!! :D

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Candy

Neighbouhood Nurseries are a fantastic initiative, and I can't help but feel a bit jealous when I hear about those who are starting them up! Best of luck to you, dreean and rhodessj, in your efforts. :)

I think the focus of helping the child as part of the family is an excellent core philosophy. Have you thought about running any programmes to encourage fathers? I know one or two settings that have termly play and learn sessions run on Saturdays, specifically aimed at involving fathers and other carers that don't get the chance to get involved with their children's eduation because of work commitments (or because they feel that mother and toddler groups are "women's territory").

The Penn Green Children's Centre in Corby have started some amasing programmes to involve parents and the community in their work supporting children. Perhaps you ought have a look there for some ideas. Having seen them in action, I can assure you of an exciting worthwhile day. :D:D

hi i have just aplied for a job in the neighbourhood nursery that is being built near to me,already had my interview,just waiting now for some news.please please put me out of my misery and let me know either way

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)