Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Tips Please...?

beth1

As some of you will know I hope to start my new possible job (doing a Work Trial first) working as a qualified nursery practitioner in a new baby unit 0-2 years old from tommorow. :D:( It as been a while since I worked in a baby room and I want to create a good impression on the nursery so they will employ me. :(:o:) I have ordered some of Featherstones books to read and been reseaching on the internet also. :D

So

Does anyone have any useful tips for working with babies and toddlers under 2? xD

I am feeling a little bit nervious. :( :wacko:

TIA

Beth

Beth,

Initially they'll probably be looking at how you interact with the babies and how well you get on with the other members of staff. Having all the knowledge in the world won't help you if you can't manage those! Be professional (think about policies and procedures and best practise) but be friendly and willing to learn from those around you too. Good luck. :)

I agree with what Beau and Hali have already said Beth.

To me, working with babies is absolutely wonderful (although sometimes I feel like I need a change!), no two days are ever the same and this is one of the things I love about it. It's all too easy to get bogged down with the same old routine every day, but because the babies are changing so rapidly, it makes it exctiting (that's not to say it doesn't happen with the older children too!)

I always found it really difficult to interact with babies initially, but now I play with them and talk to them similarly to how I would the older children.

I agree, just be yourself and be professional and you can't go far wrong. If you're not sure about things, ask questions and don't be afraid to do so either, because how are you going to learn about the individual children and their needs, the 'rules' of the setting, the policies and procedures?

I'm sure you will not be expected to get involved in the paperwork side of things just yet, so I would concentrate on your interaction with the children, and also, from personal experience, your interaction with the staff.

Good luck Beth and I hope the other issue doesn't become too much of a problem for you! Please let us know how you get on, it's always nice to hear of new experiences.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)