Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Job Change

I have finally decided to hand my notice in at work and look for something else. I am quite sad about this actually, because despite the difficulties, I thought I was doing reasonably well to overcome them. My tutor said I was handling the situation really well and that she could see that through both my written work and my practice but I am just finding it all too much.

I think had my manager been more supportive of my college work, I would've been able to cope much easier. When I wrote my notice letter and handed it in, I specifically did not give a reason as to why I wanted to leave, thinking that my manager would call me into the office (as she does for everything!) and ask me. This would then provide me with an opportunity to lay bare all the issues that have been bothering me, and also allowing her an opportunity to justify (that's not the right word, can't think of one similar) her decisions with regard to certain things. However, it hasnot happened, which makes me think that she can't be that bothered that she is losing another qualified member of staff.

It's not just the college thing though that prompted my decision. Things like being left alone with seven under twos to serve them lunch, clear up, clean the children, change nappies and put them all to bed, have all got to me in the past couple of weeks. We are terribly short staffed and I am often left alone with 7/8 children (which apart from anything else, breaks the conditions of registration).

I so badly want to work somewhere that does things properly! Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so. I didn't do all my training to sit around and flout the rules all over the place.

Anyway, I have been ringing up other possibilities. One setting needs a L3 nursery nurse 4 days per week (brilliant!!! as fits in with college). I checked out their Ofsted inspection report on the internet and they got a good, so that sounds promising. Need to sort out the application forms, but the lady did say we would arrange an interview once she received them back. The second one is as a manager of a sessional pre-school. I know I have done this before and looking back was not totally ready for it, but I have done a few other things since then, especially my FD and I believe I may be more ready to take on the role. There is a third possibility, but I am still waiting to hear from the proprietor about that one.

I just hope I have done the right thing, all I do know is that I couldn't carry on like that for too much longer. The stress has taken its toll, to the point where I was rushed to hospital last night and seen for anxiety/panic attacks. Thought it was asthma, but the doctor said I need to take a break from work and try and relax.

Easier said than done.....

Go for it Clare! Big decision made and hopefully you feel better for having made it! Your health and happiness are the most important things and you shouldn't sacrifice them for anything!

Have faith...there ARE good places out there that have the same high values and standards as you and you are a credit to your profession that you are not prepared to work in a place that doesn't reflect and respect those. You've already done something very positive about your situation and those leads sound promising don't they?

Change of any kind is always a bit nerve racking because it takes us out of our comfort zone - but you've done the hard bit by making the decision to hand your notice in. Someone out there will recognise your true worth and potential and you will be happy! Hang on in there! :)

Sometimes you have to put yourself and your own well-being first. It's also very frustrating working where you you know things can be done better yet not have the power to change things. Glad to hear you already have some possible jobs lined up, I hope one of them works out for you.

Karrie

Sorry to hear you had to have a trip to hospital Clare - as the doctor said you need to have a break and relax. Your health is more important than anything. I'm sure another job with less stress is out there waiting for you! Good luck with everything.

Hi Clare,

We've spoken in the past, I want to say that I think you're ready for all sorts of challenges! Pretty short sighted of your current employers to be unable to spot a diamond!!

I'll be rooting for you - if you want anything, just shout!!! (or whisper.......)

Sue x

I'm sure you made the right decision. no job is worth ending up in hospital for. Have a rest and you will feel more like tackling life and work.

Have a good half term

Good luck Clare, you deserve to be treated like a professional not just a skify (sp) sorry couldn't think of another word. :D

I think I have just found the right setting. xD Today at work I have been talking about this particular nursery and I have heard nothing but praise :D for example ooo I knew a friend who worked there but then left to work in a children's centre but she loved the nursery just that she lived the wrong side of x to get there you will do well there, etc. :o:(

Beth

Good luck Clare you are better of getting out of such a place if it is making you Ill and on the professional reputation side this can only be a positive action for you as you will no longer be associated with a place that obviously has no respect for the standards.One of our local DN have just had a bad Ofsted and this tends to unfortunately tarnish all the staff with the bad reputation which is a shame as you will know there are some good staff striving to offer high quality childcare. Congratulations and my utmost respect for sticking to your principles.

Snap Clare, I took the plunge today also, I handed my notice in!

It took me so much courage but I know it is the right thing, my manager is trying different things to make me change my mind, but I, like you want to work somewhere where things are done properly and where I can feel proud of the provision. I want to demote myself and find a nursery assistant position or a class assistant so that I can concentrate on my fdey.

What a day for me and you, :oxD i knew when I was crying alot and feeling soooo tired and crabby that I just had to take control before my mental health suffers anymore.

My husband is delighted and said he just wants the old me back,

so here's to both of us and to Shelley :) and to all the other forum members embarking on new challenges, lets stick together. I have found such support here and I am so grateful, good luck Clare, look after yourself.

Thanks everyone, my ever-supportive forum friends!!

Wow, Shirel! Well done you! I knew things were not too brilliant for you at work but I am so pleased you are taking the plunge and looking to move on.

My main reason for leaving the nursery was the standard of care that I was being expected to provide, that along with the demands of my home and college life. I just can't fit it all in, however much I try and kid myself I can. Something had to give and unfortunately (especially for the children) it had to be the job.

My only concern now is Natalie and the effect that another change will have on her. She loves the nursery and I have to say that the pre-school is staffed far better than the baby unit. She has made real friends there, children she talks about all the time and she is getting on so well. She settled really easily there too, after a month or so and with her going to school next year, I don't think it is fair to move her again. I am hoping that she can continue at the nursery, but obviously this will depend on whatever job I manage to go into next. If I don't manage to be successful at any of the interviews I have lined up, money will be tight so paying fees will be a problem.

But to be honest, I feel so much better knowing that each day that passes, is one day less I have to endure of it there and its this that is keeping me going.

Added to my illness thing, I have terrible sinusitis in one side of my face and I can't sleep through the pain, so I am making the most of the quiet time (Natalie and Simon sleeping!) to get on with my parents assignment that needs to be in for the FD.

Well done Shirel and good luck in your new quest, and thanks to all of you for your positive thoughts and wishes.

Well done Clare on making the brave decision. If your heath was sufferring then it was definately time for a change. It's frustrating when setting dont do things as they should and although we like to think we can change it we have to face that sometimes it is not always possible.

Good luck.

Best of luck to both of you. :D

Clare I hope everything works out for your daughter remaining where she is, but don't worry too much, children are so very good at adapting as long as they are surrounded by the love and security that you so clearly provide. I hope you sinuses ease up, suffer them myself so can empathise.

Aren't the quiet, dark mornings so peaceful though :o

Peggy