Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flying

Our new topic starts after half term and i like to have a few ideas to take to the table as such when i ask children what we already know and what would be fun to leanr about.

I can make a rocket and do some rocket activities

i can also do hot air balloons

we're going on a trip so we can do things like passport and packing then

we are going to look at kites and gliders- paper aeroplanes

any more ideas????????

Thank you

Tom and the Island of the Dinosaurs is a wonderful book about a boy and a hot-air-balloon. He goes to rescue some dinosaurs after finding a message in a bottle. When we did it the children wanted an island/volcano role-play area and a hot-air-balloon which we made out of a box and a gigantic paper lampshade. We learnt a lot about volcanoes and they go 'up in the air'. It also fitted in with the Right Dance volcano movements. I am very very busy just now but when I get time I'll search out my planning and post it up. Wont be until end of Feb though as off to the carnival in Venice this weekend. :o

What about using the story The Blue Balloon? We have done an activity in the past about where they would like to go if they were whisked away by a blue balloon after having read the story.

Similar thing-what about flying carpets? We sat in small groups on a carpet and pretended to go off on an adventure-where would they like to travel to on a flying carpet?

Linda

Just had another thought-bubbles! Children love them and they are such a simple activity. We did an experiment once with different shaped bubble blowers-a circle, a square and a triangle. We made them out of wire. The children had to predict what shape they thought the bubble would be depending on the shape of the blower.

Linda

And there's also that story called Balloon by Jez Alborough - very simple but effective. :) On another post somewhere yesterday I mentioned the idea of making small parachutes, suitable for 2-4 children to share, out of those stripey golfing umbrellas - you can get them for £1 at discount shops and just take the metal spikes out. I've seen some nice activities with those.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)