Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Off To New York!

Guest Wolfie

Unbelievably, I'm off to New York for a long weekend with my husband and two teenagers this weekend...something that's been saved for and booked for a long time as a well deserved treat for us all!

I'm sitting looking at a guide book and browsing touristy sites, wondering what we shouldn't miss.....has anyone got any good suggestions for must sees and must dos? I tend to prefer personal recommendations, sometimes the guide books go a bit overboard on attractions that turn out to be a waste of time, money or both?

Edited by Wolfie

o0o0o you'll have a fabulous time! We went to New York this summer as part of our honeymoon.

The best reccomendation I can give you is one given to us by a guy in the TGI Friday's we went to for our 1st meal. He suggested we bought the 48 hour tickets for the Grey Line tour buses (there are a couple of companies but he said these were the best ones). I think they were $50 each but were valid for 48 hours and you could either stay on the bus and get the full tours (about 4 different ones I think, including a night one which was fantastic) or you can use it as a hop on, hop off service to get around NYC.

The tickets are bought from guys in Times Square, pretty obvious who they are from what they are wearing. The tour buses are red, don't get the tickets for the blue and yellow buses.

I'd definately suggest going to Times Square at night as its just a sight to see!

Have a fabulous time and just enjoy!

You lucky thing, I feel very jealous.... I went over xmas and had a brilliant time.

I also went on the gray line bus tour and its a really good way to get your bearings on the city

If you go to the empire state building, try and go as early in the day as possible, as the queues get really long - i went the morning after we arrived, we had woken really early because of jetlag, so joined the queue just after it opened at 8am, we were in the lifts within 20 mins. Later we went past it on one of the bus tours and there was a four hour queue!!

Other than that, have a really good time, if you go to Times Square, there is a hotel there, a marriott or hilton or something, that has a revolving restaurant, I think you have to book to get in there but you can go and have cocktails without booking

enjoy

bb

Too long ago since I was in New York to recommend anything other than Lindys for Cheesecake, at the base of the Empire State Building,assuming its still there which it might well not be but the cheesecake was out of this world!

Oooh, I'm jealous too - me and my husband were there in November last year.

We didn't do the bus tours, but bought the citypass which gives you free and fast track entrance to MoMA, Natural History Museum, Guggenheim (only 2 galleries were open when we were there), Boat cruise around Manhattan - we upgraded to the 3 hour cruise and is well worth it. and also the Empire State Building...

Central Park is lovely for a stroll around as is the bottom of Manhattan, along the water front.

Bubba Gumps comes highly recommended if you like seafood and the twee themed restaurants - it's the theme version of Forrest Gump and even has his running shoes!!

Here are a couple of pics...

post-4495-1170887116_thumb.jpg Manhattan skyline from the boat

post-4495-1170887219_thumb.jpg Brooklyn Bridge

post-4495-1170887387_thumb.jpg Manhattan and Liberty from the Empire State Building

We nearly went but I didnt want to leave the lads as 9/11 wasnt that far away. I admit to letting terrorists make the decision for me, something I never let the IRA do!!!

We were told if we went to take the boat trip at night, couldnt be beaten by all accounts.

Have a fab time :D

I'll be in snowy Snowdonia. :D The web cam over looking Snowdon shows snow! I'm so excited I can hardly wait :D

PS I know I dont like snow but its different when its on a mountain and I can sit and look at it with a beer. :o

I can't stand big cities but I loved New York. It really did feel like a big villaga at times. As for the New Yorkers we found them wonderful.

My husband has very little sight and carries a white stick and so many people came up and offered to help us, we were quite overwhelmed as we had heard how unfriendly New Yorkers are. Not a bit of it.

Do have a wonderful time.

Ooooo, thanks for all your replies and top tips. I'm off to do my packing having just been firmly put in my place by my 13 year old daughter....she asked me to help her put some clothes out on the bed for packing and after I'd chosen some she just gave me a withering glance and said "MUM! We're going to the fashion capital of the world!"

What do I know! :o

I hope you have a wonderful time in New York. Please let us know how it went. I am going in 4 weeks for a long weekend too and can't wait, I have never been before. Its my first holiday since my honeymoon just over 4 years ago.

Helen :D

I'm back! and absolutely shattered! We have NEVER packed so much into three days before!!!! :o

A fantastic weekend, I would recommend it to anybody. We did a bit of everything and must have walked miles! A shopping day on Saturday, though we didn't actually buy much, just marvelled at all the shops...oh except I had to buy a pair of socks in Bloomingdales so that my daughter could have a "little brown bag" from the shop! Went up the Rockefeller Tower which apparently gives just as good views as the Empire State Building only you don't have to wait for hours in a queue. Took a Circle Line Ferry across to the Statue of Liberty on a lovely cold, sunny morning. Went to Ground Zero which was a very solemn and moving place, lots to look at and think about. And went to a Broadway musical!!!!! Mamma Mia. It was great! Spent yesterday in Central Park.

Did loads more but my brain is fuzzy and the washing machine needs loading.....oh I feel very tired.........! :)

Glad you had such a fab time, I went at Christmas and loved every minute.. so much to do, desperate to go back

Macys has been a childhood dream of mine to visit as I love Miracle on 34th Street