Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese New Year

Guest Wolfie

Anyone out there got any new and exciting ideas for covering Chinese New Year? We've come across a lovely story called "Cleversticks" that we're going to use but are looking for some more inspiration!

Any ideas............? :)

We always do dragon dances with masks we have made and lengths of fabric to chinese music. We also make concertina dragons with a head and a tail connected by foldes concertinas of paper. Also a stir fry of noodles and veg in a sweet and sour sauce is usually good fun - some love it, some hate it but usually they all give it a try. We try copying chinese calligraphy in gold paint on red paper as well as making cards after telling the story of the animals and how the chinese got their calendar.

We always do dragon dances with masks we have made and lengths of fabric to chinese music. We also make concertina dragons with a head and a tail connected by foldes concertinas of paper. Also a stir fry of noodles and veg in a sweet and sour sauce is usually good fun - some love it, some hate it but usually they all give it a try. We try copying chinese calligraphy in gold paint on red paper as well as making cards after telling the story of the animals and how the chinese got their calendar.

Also what about making some money pockets, lanterns, decorate book marks with their names in Chinese written on one side. There are also some good sites on Chinese New Year to look at too

Nikki

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/topic/fest/chinese.html

Sparklebox have a Chinese New Year pack

We always finish off with a Chinese banquet which the children love.

Using chopsticks to pick up things is great for fine motor development.

The story of how the years got their animal characters.

Ordering the animals (ordinal numbers 1sr 2nd 3rd)

China town on line has teachers resources and lots of interesting things

http://www.chinatown-online.co.uk/

We make lion puppets using kitchen rolls, string and crepe paper and there is always a Chinese restaurant serving stir fry vegetables and noodles. We tell the story of how the years got their animal names and we also have the video "Festivals" which is ideal for 3-5 year olds. We always do a lion dance at the end of the morning. I was trying to add a photo of our lion dance from the gallery but can't seem to attach it. Will try again..

Sue J

Don't know Sue but here is a link to your pics,

Chinese dragons

Previous 2 years I have used feathers and black paint for 'chinese writing' this really inspired the boys to have a go at writing. :D In fact every year I keep saying I should use feathers more often, only to remember them for Chinese New Year, thank goodness for these cultural celebrations. :)

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Chinese New Year Package you may find useful. It is a download to print in PDF Format and has the story of Chinese new Year, puppets children can make, red money / lucky packet templates to make, story wheels of the animals and lots of other activity ideas.

http://www.creni.org/filestore/documents/s...se_New_Year.pdf

I hope it can be of use to you.

Kung Hei Fat Choi to you all!

Best Wishes

Sharon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)