Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Passing Eyps

:D Hi all

I just wanted to celebrate the fact that today I received my letter that I have passed the Pilot for EYPS. It feels great , yes there is alot of controversy over this qualification but it still feels great to get it!!

So all of you out there who wonder if it is worth it, I think so !!

Natalie

Welcome Natalie, would love to hear more about your EYPS experience and more so how / if it will change your future career choices / or way of working.

Peggy

Thank you all for your good wishes and friendly welcome to the forum. I have been reading these forums for ages - just become brave enough to join in .

Yes feel really chuffed and it has come on a great weekend as I am going to my Graduation ceremony for my BA Hons tomorrow - not bad for a single mum - 40 this year!!!

I am hoping that I wil be able to make a difference to childrens learning and be able to encorage others for good positive practice !!!

Thanks to you all Feeling at home writing on the forum now.

So to any of you out there unsure about any qualification that you want to take , think about why you are doing it and plan how you are going to get there. I have done loads of different courses to get to what I wanted to do and I am for ever learning but most importantly be open to any opportunity - you never know where it will take you...

WOW, you are a wonder woman, thanks for sharing your success, I feel good for you and that is inspiring, well done!!!!!!!!!!! oh and a very warm welcome.

Hi Shirel

I don't think my children would agree with super woman , in our house there has been loads of compromises and helping out to get there!!

But I think that is the only way to get anything in life loads of hard work and commitment. Its just nice to think that your part of an exciting adventure which will hopefully mean we are giving every child a fantastic chance in their school lives. Whoever we are and what ever we are doing and however we get there we are there to encourage the next generation.

Crikey must be getting sentimental in my old age !!!

Hi Natalie and congratulations!

I know how hard it is to be a single Mum and study, juggling work, the household chores and bills, bringing up teenagers AND studying is very hard and to be frank I have now had enough !!

I have been studying the slow way with the Open University to achieve the Foundation Degree in Early Years, I finish in June after 4 years of studying. When I started this I was told that this would easily lead me to EYPS and I felt it would be worth it and also benefit the staff and children of my setting. We are now told that we need a GCSE Maths qualification. I did not achieve this at school, I have a grade A for English and a B for science (Biology) but these are not needed, because I haven't got the Maths I am not eligable for this 'Status'. I do not, and never will want to be a 'teacher'. My whole expertise (17 years experience) is with Early Years but for some reason I need GCSE maths. I do not see why as I am capable of counting to 100 and can do basic arithmatic, surely children up to the age of 5 do not need to be taught Long Division or complicated algebraic problems ( I was good at these by the way!) ?!!! I stayed on at school and achieved 2 A levels and then took a Higher National Diploma, none of this counts. It now seems in doubt that the Foundation Degree will count as level 5. So the Level 4 I achieved 2 years ago might be my limit.

Sorry but I feel better after that rant! I would be interested to find out others opinions, perhaps someone out there can calm me down and tell me that it has been worth it?

Teri

Oh Hali what shall we do?!!

I feel that all this work has been wasted - all those books I could have read, all those films I could have watched, all those chats I didn't have with my children - for what ?!

Are you going to take the Maths and English ?

Do you wish to be a Reception teacher?

Teri

Good morning Hali and Teri

For HLTA and EYPS status you can do a level 2 numeracy exam I know here in Milton Keynes learn direct do it, some people on the validation process did this and they took a day out to do the exam. Its worth enquiring about. If you want to do QTS its got to be a GCSE /o level.

I too have many knock backs throughout all my studying goal posts being moved etc but I also feel that I have learnt that if its what you want you will get there !!

Hope it helps

Natalie

Congratulations Natalie on your achievement. :D

Can I just say something about the Maths issue, as it is something that I have seen talked about a lot in relation to this topic. I am actually very good a Maths and love it as a subject - unlike other subjects it is perfectly logical and any answers you get are definite. It annoys me that some exams are marked in a subjective way, rather than having a preordained answer. :o That's just my methodical logical mind at work!! xD

GCSE Maths is actually relatively easy - but many people (and at the risk of making sweeping generalisations, these people tend to be women) are frightened by it at an early age and consequently struggle because they already have a notion in their heads that it is difficult. If you have managed to get a degree, then you are not stupid by any stretch of the imagination!! Open your mind to the fact that you are probably capable of learning a subject at a basic level, enough to pass an exam, even if its a subject you wouldn't necessarily think you have any strengths in. Don't give up now - go for it!! :D

I think that the CWDC still have a fair bit of tweaking to do with regards to the EYPS.
~ I completely agree Shelley,

I am about to go on the gateway review process to see which route i am doing for EYPS (the gateway review process scares me LOL), I also don't have my maths or english but have been told i can do EYPS (been provisionally put on short route) and take an equivelancy test for english and maths., I can complete EYPS without having achieved maths and english but i won't get my letter to say i have completed it till i have maths and english, so basically i can take a year and a day to get maths and english (believe me that is a distinct possibility LOL) but can complet EYPS in the allocated period but just not be awarded it till later. This is fine with me because getting EYP means nothing to me in terms of financial gain (won't be getting pay rise) but it will affect my practices (for the better).

Doing EYP is an exciting venture and im pleased to be doing it so early on, but i do think it needs tweaking here and there too.

Dawn :)

Well, well done - how great is that especially as you are one of the first through. If you are anything like me you are now going to have to think about tidying the house and catching up on all those things you have avoided doing as studying was far more important.

Can I ask what sort of setting you in and how much time did you fee you had to put into it. Was there lots of collating of paperwork or can you jsut direct them to the evidence?

Well done and have a great graduation

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)