Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working With Boys

Just arrived back from a course with Ali McClure on Making it Better for boys. Its great when every now and again you find a course that gives you the WOW factor. This certainly was one of them.

Having a very high percentage of 4 year olds and two teenage boys I decided that I needed to go on this course to learn some strategies for dealing with both these areas. It was so interesting, did you know that at 14 testosterone (scuse spelling) levels in boys rise by 800% - yes, thats right 800% - can you imagine how this must feel - PMT fails into insignificance. Of course the other surge is at 4 and although we all know this - understanding the brain development along with all the other things that go with it and understanding the science behind it has been really enlightening. I'm off to get my Brain Gym books now to make sure that we get lots of exercise with crossovers etc.

Cannot wait until next week - its a 4 hour course and if nothing else it has made me feel that my son is not all at fault, (he has been excluded twice in the last month) it is not all my fault but I do need to look at it from a different perspective and I think the school need to as well. If I had the money I would sponsor the course for all Year 9 teachers. I know that we can all do our bit, likewise with our boisterous 4 year olds who lose their hearing, its not selective, its part of a physiological process.

Also the reason why men think about sex so many times a day is because testosterone rises every 2 hours - so bear this in mind if you are getting a grunt from your other half when you speak to him - its probably on the rise (the testosterone nothing else)- select the right time a bit later!! But I suppose it will depend on what your aim is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have been reading your post with interest. it takes me back to my own son, who went through a period of unrest during year 7 that progressed onto year 8, lots of suspensions! :(

You tear your hair out trying to think where your going wrong. Long story involved, but basically i took him out of school for a year and educated him at home. He definately needed the time out! He chose to go back to school into year 9 half way through and settled really well and it went great from there on in. I actually changed schools as i was really let down by the previous one. (they actually admitted they had failed him!) but on talking to one of his new teachers, he said that they have the most problems on an aggressive level with boys during years 7, 8 and 9, and unfortunately many teachers (and parents come to that), don't look at the hormonal factor.

My youngest son is 11 and I'm half dreading the onslaught! xD. But I do feel more informed about it all now! Especially as my eldest is nearly 18 and is the loveliest boy or should i say man you could meet. i am always getting complements about him! If only they new! :o:D:D

Thanks for the info nikki,

Just today I had 3 four year old boys on what I can only describe as a tornado syndrome.

Knocked over the roleplay cooker to fall and clamber over, got off went to book shelves pulled off a load of books and stamped on them, then went back to role play got tub of pasta tipped it on floor and stamped on this shouting "I didn't do it".

This was at 1:45 pm ( don't know if time is significant - after lunch). All sent to different areas of setting to play individually, to think about what they had just done, and to get them out of 'pack syndrome' one child then said to me "I'm going to tell my mum Peggy hit me" :o:(

got other member of staff to witness, asked child what did he say and he repeated it. xD he even extended to give details of where I ( supposedly) hurt him and when it happened,( on his head when he was in the tent) all totally made up. I must admit I haven't come across this extent of lying before, normally if a child is cross because he/she has been 'told off' and they say these things then immediately they back track and apologies, but not this child today. I am a bit sensitive because of a recent other untrue allegation made against me. :(

feeling very vulnerable now, however much we know these allegations are untrue how can we protect ourselves against them?????

wrote an incident report and told mum, she just laughed and said he gets his dramatics from his sister. :(

still another day done, tomorrow I shall just keep telling the children how happy I am.

Peggy

Hi

I also went on the same course a few years ago Ali was fascinating one of the useful resources she shared was the book " raising boys" by Steve Biddulph. If you haven't read it, go out and get it!

Thanks for the info nikki,

Just today I had 3 four year old boys on what I can only describe as a tornado syndrome.

Knocked over the roleplay cooker to fall and clamber over, got off went to book shelves pulled off a load of books and stamped on them, then went back to role play got tub of pasta tipped it on floor and stamped on this shouting "I didn't do it".

This was at 1:45 pm ( don't know if time is significant - after lunch). All sent to different areas of setting to play individually, to think about what they had just done, and to get them out of 'pack syndrome' one child then said to me "I'm going to tell my mum Peggy hit me" :o:(

got other member of staff to witness, asked child what did he say and he repeated it. xD he even extended to give details of where I ( supposedly) hurt him and when it happened,( on his head when he was in the tent) all totally made up. I must admit I haven't come across this extent of lying before, normally if a child is cross because he/she has been 'told off' and they say these things then immediately they back track and apologies, but not this child today. I am a bit sensitive because of a recent other untrue allegation made against me. :(

feeling very vulnerable now, however much we know these allegations are untrue how can we protect ourselves against them?????

wrote an incident report and told mum, she just laughed and said he gets his dramatics from his sister. :(

still another day done, tomorrow I shall just keep telling the children how happy I am.

Peggy

Oh dear Peggy - sounds like a day to be forgotten - but we are heading in to a full moon and tomorrow could be even worse - mine tend to get wired up about 24 hours before the full moon. So tomorrow we need eyes in the back of our heads, the patience of saints and as many strategies as possible. We also need close colleagues around us who can help out when things get tough and we need a breather to take 10.

Funny you should mention the full moon. The boys I childmind were wild tonight. One does have ADHD but is generally not too bad but today phew! I did look at the moon and wonder (I am a little moon obsessed myself - truly luny! It's where the term came from I believe) as our cat is alway bonkers at a full moon and in her younger days usually caught a mouse or bird :o

Does anybody else notice windy weather causing hyper behaviour too? I was actually taught it as a fact on my NNEB (20 odd years ago) and it has been borne out by experience too!!

hmm yes forgot about the full moon.

Hubby and step son are actually watching the footy, both support apposing teams, trouble?, no, it is now 1-1 in extra time. hubby just heard saying "good game, good game" in bruce forsythe mode :o

They are both bonding well, maybe they haven't noticed the moon yet. xD:(

If I expect a difficult day tomorrow no doubt I shall have one, just going to go in positive vibes, fingers crossed for me.

peggy

talking about the moon, (cant resist being a fellow loony, and yes it does give rise to teh word luna-tic). It was very bright last night, do take a look up tonight, the skies are clear here at the moment.

On the subject of boys, I'd agree the Steven Biddulph is a really good read, and we'd love to hear more about your course Nicola, we have one reception class this year that is 22 boys to 8 girls, and the teacher is finding it 'challenging' to say the least.

I cannot wait to get back to the next session where we look at stategies, I will report back then. I have read Biddulph and others in this area and it makes for really interesting - just knowing why they can be like this is fine but I now need more information to deal with it

Nikki

Not sure whether there was something in the water generally on year of conception for this years reception intake, but I also have 22 boys and 7 girls in my class! My TA, who has been supporting reception for 6 years (this is only my second year in reception) says she has never seen anything quite like this particular class (and I mean in a bad way). I have had to seriously rethink how to deal with behaviour issues and I'm sure this is mostly due to the high levels of testosterone buzzing around the classroom - all I can say is thank heavens for the outdoor classroom. I have this week shown to the children toys that they could potentially play with that have made them positively drool and then talked to them about Golden Time and the fact that they will be missing part of it if their behaviour is inappropriate. It will be interesting to watch the faces of the 3 boys who will have to sit and watch for 4 minutes whilst the other children play with the toys, I wonder if they will be able to work out that their behaviour has resulted in missing out on Golden Time treats!! At least I can say that each day is challenging and certainly never dull - although by Friday I am on my knees!

I am not suprised you are on your knees! Do not envy you at all with that one. At least it's half term soon! I'm sure you'll enjoy the break!

Not long either really till the end of this school year! I could do with changing my class, got a really hard one this year! :o

Up unitl then enjoy a nice glass of wine at the end of each day! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)