Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Training Advice Needed

Having had a quick look through previous topics and not found what I need I would appreciate any advice.

We are a school nursery and so take children aged 3-4. We have successfully supported several children with toilet training since the rules changed but have come across a challenge.

We currently have two children who just won't go anywhere near a toilet. A little girl who's mum tells us uses the toilet happily at home but won't go anywhere near ours (we have also tried having her potty in nursery). And a little boy who won't go near the toilet at home either. Both children can also be reluctant to be changed when needed.

Any thoughts on how to approach toilet training with them would be appreciated by me and their parents.

How about using something like the kandoo wipes and soap for them so that they are different and special and want to make them go to thr toilet. or taking them in when the other children are going so they can see how they are going to the toilet. What about asking them to do a drawing to put up in the toilet that they can visit when they need to go?

Hope that helps

I've had a few children 'reluctant' to go. Some will 'hold on' until they get home, often having 'leaks' / 'accidents' others who just don't appear to like our toilets.

The method used is lots of patience, not making a big issue of it, as suggested letting the child see others children go. In the end gentle encouragement, holding ( as in comforting and reassuring) the child who may fear 'falling into the loo'. Lots of exagerated praise for the smallest effort.

I recently had a child who had undiognosed bowel problems, he would hold on and on, even at home, until severely constipated, then pass blood when he eventually goes. Within 7 weeks of being with us he did his first 'poo' :D At first he would cry at the suggestion of going, it appeared to be very much an emotional issue/problem, once he felt secure with us, and was not berated each time we tried to coax him to go but didn't respond, left off the pressure etc. I would sit him on the loo, wait and he would say, it's not coming out today ( even wee's as well) "No problem, I'd say, let's try later"

Once he had been once, we couldn't keep him out the loos, he seemed to then 'need to go' every time we went into 'group' times ie: register / story. and we felt actually became a bit obsessed about washing his hands. :o

Good luck.

Peggy

hi nsunshine... waht are the rules for toiletting in nursery? Please can you enlighten

sorry prob not very clear - as school nursery we didn't used to take children who weren't toilet trained - obviously now we do but haven't had much experience.

Thanks Peggy & dmbz2000

No advice really but I know that I would NEVER use a school toilet. I can clearly remember this being one of my first memories and that I just hated the smell and you would not get me anywhere near them - horrid horrid horrid. Made me gag. I would wait all day, catch the bus home and as I lived on a farm would rush across the road and pee behind a hedge - far better than going in those smelly, horrid loos. The one time that I did I dropped my sixpence bus fare down the loo - so never went to the loo at school again, got completely hysterical as there was no way I was putting my hand down the toilet to retrieve it yet I had to get it in order to get home. Had to get the teacher to do it, although I can remember the argument really clearly - she didn't want to put her hand down there either. I never went to the toilet away from home until I was much, much older and only when I was completely desparate. Even now I do not enjoy going away from home and only as a last resort will I go somewhere else but childbirth and 3 kids has forced the issue sometimes. I would rather have wet myself than go to the school loo - just very sensitive to certain smells. Perhaps you could try and find out why - some of my children don't like the doors or the seats - there could be all sorts of things

Good luck

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)