Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Timetable

Has anyone out there been forced to fill in a "lesson timetable" for a reception class that includes times for start and end of lessons. Despite my protestations to the powers that be I am expected to not only fill in the damn thing but also stick to it.

Am seriously considering alternatives to teaching.

I have a brief outline of the session routines with times attached but always add a note stating that times are approximate and flexible.

Really feel for you if you are being made to do this - new EYFS guidance (draft) does state that routines should flow with needs of the child.

Hi Jenny and welcome.

Thank you for making your first post but I am going to move it to another area of the forum --curriculum for Reception/ Year 1.

When I was asked to do this I identified those times on my timetable when I was out of my room--iCT suite, PE, music, library and such.

I also identified my teaching focus times every day, as teaching focus, and as I had some routine to my day for the children for the most part I was able to say literacy/numeracy/ phonics etc. The other times I labelled activities inside and out.

Have you tired approaching it in that way as you should be able to identify periods of your day in such a way?

Hope it works. Good Luck.

Thanks for moving me out of the gardening section! What I can`t get over to my head is that with young chldren there has to be a degree offlexibilty and being able to "go with the flow". His answer is, is that he expects me to be teaching whatever is on the timetable at that time. How unfair is this?

Oh how sad for all those children who might be having a wonderful time learning about all sorts of things to have to be stopped in order to keep to a timetable. How interesting to note that having returned from a course on Making it Better for Boys where we discussed the issues surrounding men multi-tasking that your head, who appears to be a bloke, feels this way. They just don't get it do they - perhaps suggest some brain gym for him....... Just keep plugging at it and I am sure others here who foundation stage teachers will offer some sound advice as to how you persuade him that this may not be right. I know how hard it would be for me to work to a timetable, and how frustrated I would feel if I could not finish off something I really wanted to do.

Nikki

Thanks for the support. We were supposed to stop a fantastic felt making session today (where the children where teasing different colours of wool and soaking it and rolling it in order to make it into an amazing panel ) so that, according to my new timetable I could go onto a phonics session. Well yes phonics has it`s place but if you could have heard the language from the children....

Guess what I did?

Welcome to the forum jenny :D

I'd love to hear more about your felt maiking, wool teasing activity, sounds like something i haven't experienced yet and i'm a fully grown adult. :o

Can you ask you head why he feels the need to have a strict timetable, what does he feel it would gain compared to the schedule you are following. Once you know his goals, maybe you could decribe how his goals are met through your methods, it is you who has to manage the children not him.

good luck.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)