Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

My literacy co-ordinator would like me to do a handwriting assessment of all my children so she can get an idea of what formation is like etc.. so she can see what woud be appropriate for our age group to do handwriting wise. Does anyone have a handwriting sheet they could share - where children can trace over the top of dotted letters. She would like one which covers all letters.

Many Thanks

Lola

Can't help you, but I wonder if tracing over letters is a true assessment of what they can do handwriting wise? I know lots of mine trace beautifully over my letters but have poor control when it comes to writing the letters on their own. Just a thought really if she is assessing formation she needs to know what they are doing independently. :o

Although have just found this in my favourites where you make your own sheets with dots for free.

[www.educationalpress.org/educationalpress/OutputTracing_Sheet.asp]

Sorry its not a link but I'll be blowed if I can remember how to do it tonight. Must be more tired than I thought! :o

Edited by Guest

My thoughts are the same as Liz, that this activity would be better independently. Although observation is often better than a recorded activity to assess this, perhaps she could/should cone and work in your classroom?

You could ask the children to write on whiteboards and photocopy the results.

I agree also - letter formation has to be seen in children's writing rather than tracing over which would be assessing their skill of following a line with a pencil, rather than thinking of the letter shape and the direction they need to go to create the letter they want.

Often children get the overall shape right eg: a will be circular with a flick but it may not have been formed in the right way 'around, up down and flick'.

In Developing Early Writing published by the DfES they group letters into formation groups: long ladder, one armed robot and curly caterpillar

You might want to think of assessment in terms of areas/letters that each child finds tricky e.g. they always create their letters with circles and sticks eg for b and d.

Perhaps you could link it to phonic work and ask children to write the first sound in different words e'g' s for snake.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)