Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photographs And Foundation Degrees

This is the first time in ages that I haven't been totally sure where to put something, so I'm hoping it is ok here xD

Basically, there was a conversation going on a little while ago about photographs and uploading images from cameras onto personal home computers. At the time that I contributed to that thread, I was allowed to develop photographs on one of those kiosk things found in Boots but now the rules have changed (again :o ).

For my FD I had to plan and implement an activity, using a resource/piece of equipment that supported young children's learning (I am doing the play module at the moment). We had to observe the activity and evaluate it, all in order to write a presentation to do on Tuesday. Our tutor asked us to bring the resource in if possible or to take photographs to show how the subject child reacted to it.

As I work in the toddler room, I decided to use the pre-school's tuff spot to do a cornflour activity. We had to focus on a child with particular needs so I chose one of the toddling babies from the baby room, as the babies aren't allowed to get involved in ANY kind of messy/sensory activity (unless of course, you count shaking the odd rattle or chewing the odd soft book). This is the ruling from the management, so really nothing to do with me.

The child I chose for the activity had a 'need' in that he appears to enjoy sensory and creative activities, but because there is no space in the toddler room at present, he rarely gets opportunitites to participate in such activities. The day I did the activity, I had to swap him and one of my toddlers over, just to allow him the chance to join in.

Anyway, I took various photographs of the children (with permission) to include in my presentation about the activity. My manager knew about this activity beforehand, but when I asked her if I could develop the photos, I was told no, that she would do it, but not until the computer had been reinstalled in the nursery. I asked when this was going to be, not even knowing that it wasn't there and she said it would be 2 weeks!!!

Obviously I don't have that amount of time to wait, as my presentation is on Tuesday evening and I've got 2 full days at work before then. My presentation is pretty much written (needs a bit of tweaking here and there) but how am I going to present evidence of what happened?

What should I do or use as part of my presentation? It's too late now to change the activity as I would have to plan and implement it, observe it and write it all up, including an 'academic evaluation', and then re-write the presentation.

Please help me!

Thanks

Could you ask permission of the child's parents/carers? Ask your manager first, tactfully explaining why you need to approach the parents. Were the photographs taken on your camera? If so asking the parents, and getting them to sign a consent form for you, should be ok. What is the problem for your manager? Does she feel that it needs to be kept in-house?

As long as parents/carers are happy with you using photographs then your manager should be ok with it too.

Linda

I was going to advise the same about parental committee,

But can i just say just HOW DO THESE NURSERIES GET AWAY WITH IT?

No SENSORY EXPERIENCES in the toddler room!!!!Thats what birth to three is all about surely?

Are you not ofsteded? Why is this not picked up? Oh i'd love to be an ofsted inspector there would be no pulling the wool over my eyes!! :o

and how much room do they need anyhow?

ditto Linda, and

ditto Andreamay :o

The only way I can think of you making a presentation is to actually re-enact a bit of cornflour play at uni. It amazes me how many adults haven't experienced it yet. Not sure of spelling but the term for the consistency is Thyxotropic ( neither liquid nor solid) :D

I would also explain to your tutor the less than supportive nature of your manager. xD

good luck.

Peggy

Thanks for that. We were Ofsteded in July this year and apparently it went well although I wasn't working there at the time so I don't really know to be honest.

Thanks for the posh word Peggy, I shall be using that in my assignment :o .

The photos were taken on the nursery camera and there is a part on the nursery permission slip which says that from time to time photographs will be taken and used by students for observation work, presentations etc for college (obviously not in those words) so the permission thing isn't really a problem from the parents.

Anyway, after a little bit of thought, I am going to re-enact the activity, using cornflour in a relatively deep plastic box (to show the difficulties the child might have in reaching up to the table, where such activities normally take place - agin, not my idea) and also on a plastic plate (to represent the tuff spot). My children are going to be played by multi-cultural duplo people. I am so looking forward to this... xD

Thanks for that. We were Ofsteded in July this year and apparently it went well although I wasn't working there at the time so I don't really know to be honest.

Thanks for the posh word Peggy, I shall be using that in my assignment :o .

The photos were taken on the nursery camera and there is a part on the nursery permission slip which says that from time to time photographs will be taken and used by students for observation work, presentations etc for college (obviously not in those words) so the permission thing isn't really a problem from the parents.

Anyway, after a little bit of thought, I am going to re-enact the activity, using cornflour in a relatively deep plastic box (to show the difficulties the child might have in reaching up to the table, where such activities normally take place - agin, not my idea) and also on a plastic plate (to represent the tuff spot). My children are going to be played by multi-cultural duplo people. I am so looking forward to this... xD

Sounds great Clare, much better than 'still' photo's, practical demonstration will I am sure evoke more interest and be 'unforgettable' :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)