Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Do

skippy

The TA who supports an SEN child at our setting went on a course for behaviour management and brought back lots of information about setting up an 'IBP' - Individual behaviour plan. I was going to use it but this year we don't have the issues that we had last year. If you want I can look it up at school and give you a brief run down on what they entail.

Just let me know and I will check

Sue

As far as the medical needs are concerned. We have a child with multiple medical needs in nursery at the moment and none are mentioned on her IEP - well only a mention as to improving pencil grip. As Susan says it is only if it impacts on their learning. We do however have an action care plan which outlines what actions the staff should take if certain things happen. e.g. She has a feeding tube and we have a plan as to what procedures to follow should it fall out. It also states that she needs to wear glasses and she needs to wear splints on her hands for 40 minutes during the session as well.

Hope this helps, will get back to you about the IBPs

Sue

I seem to recall that the book about medications sent to all settings about a year ago had a photocopiable Individual Care Plan in it.

We do same as Susie65.

We have a child with a visual impairment - at the moment this isn't impacting on her learning so no IEP needed however care plan states things such as adults should sit / present activities to her left side.

I think it sounds as though we should have an action care plan for one of our children who has a complex medical need also the other child needs physio within the session, what do you think? Does anyone have a copy of a care action plan

Would this be of any help?

Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings

Ref: 1448-2005DCL-EN

Search online at www.teachernet.gov.uk/publications or request copy from DfES publications. Has a health care plan in it.

One of my children has to have physio everyday!

We have some severe medical needs at our school. We have been informed by health officials that we must have an individual care plan for every child with special medical needs. Also every member of staff who has immediate contact, or has to administrer medication or physio must be trained by a qualified nurse! It can be a nightmare to set it all up I'm afraid.

We keep a diary to record when we do physio, how long it takes and if there were any problems. In this diary we also keep a record of all the procedures that have had to be done on the special medical needs children only.

If the medical need effects anything within the clasroom then they also have to have an IEP set up for them (eg, poor eyesight, pencil grip etc)

Hope this is of some help.

(Care plans have to be set up be a Heatlth Professional, it is not something that we can do on our own)

Good luck, if you need anymore advise then just ask and I'll see if I can help :)

thankyou for that Jem, i downloaded the Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings

publication and found the form about care action plan, but does this mean we do not fill this in? As it should be a health professional?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)