Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whole Class Reward System

Since we have had the new January intake into the other reception class, my September children have reverted back to newbies! Not tidying away properly at tidy up time, finding it hard work to concentrate on guided activities, boys being too boistrous etc etc :o

Just wondered if anyone could share any whole class reward systems that they find work with their class??

Thanks in anticipation!

Catherine x

You are not alone! My children have done exactly the same and their behaviour is terrible at lunchtimes!

I'm very interested in any replies too.

I really like the display and the idea behind it ... also, it's quick and easy to maintain. So often reward systems can take time, but this looks really efficient. We used to have a rocket system, with each child having a rocket. They would start the week with five squares on their rocket and could win extra squares, or loose them for inappropriate behaviour. Each night they got an extra square if they had kept rules. At the end of the week any child whose rocket was full got a certificate, when they had five certificates they won a prize - pencil, McDonald's type toy etc. This was in a special unit so we only had 14 children ... I think Sue's is far more appropriate in a larger unit.

Think I might be borrowing your idea too, if you don't mind Sue :o

Harricroft

I am job sharing a real handful of a year one class. We have tried loads of different reward systems and non have had a lasting effect. I am afraid we have resorted to bribery. We have made a chart using the large squared paper with all their names down the side. Every 5 squares we have drawn a line down. So when we notice children listening to our instructions, sitting nicely, good work etc, they come and draw a smiley face in a square. For every 5 smiley faces they are rewarded with a little sweet (at the moment its those chocoloate buttons with sprinkles on).

I have to say that it is really working and the children are responding really well to it. Perhaps not very healthy schools but we really were desperate as they are a class of children who clash, are unkind to each other, and generally don't listen.

We went on a behaviour management course this week to see if they had any good ideas we could use. One good thing that was suggested was a 'Victory log' that you and the children can write good things that have happened. We are going to start that next week.

Laura

We have a pebble jar....

The pebbles live in a box and the rule is that every time you see a child doing something paise worthy they can be asked to put a pebble in the jar.

When allthe pebbles have made it into the jar the whole class win 5/10 mins extra play (works out at about once a week roughly).

Really easy to set up and maintain, free and healthy too!

As a school we have also adopted a similar system using silver washers (from DIY shops). All staff, TAs and midday assistants have a stash on them and everytime they see good behaviour in assembly, on corridors, playtimes etc they can give out a washer. Ecah classroom has a washer moneybox where the children post their rewards. On our friday celebration assembly the class with the most washers win class of the week - certificate & tophy

I have used two systems and both work really well. The first uses marbles, you add marbles to a jar for good behaviour, good listening, good work etc. Marbles can also be removed for unacceptable behaviour. As a whole class they have to get 5 marbles in the jar, if they are successful they can choose a favourite class thing to do for the last 15 mins on a Friday afternoon (log park, a game)

The other one I've used is called Golden Time, this runs throughout the whole school, the last 30 mins on a Friday the children have GT. During the week if they have misbehaved, not done enough work etc they can lose GT. GT is lost 4 mins at a time so each individual child could loose anything between 4 and 30 mins in one week. We have a chart that shows 30mins (going down in 4's) each child then has a name card which moves down as GT is lost. The children choose from a choice of activities to do during GT

Hope this makes sence it's not the easiest to explain without anything in front of you!

If you are interested in this one I can always take a photo of one of the charts and send it

Goodluck :)

They sound like great ideas, i like the marbles or pebbles in a jar will that try that tomorrow!

We had golden time as a school but it never really worked as the children weren't bothered about missing it so we scrapped it which is a shame, thanks for sharing all your ideas

Catherine x

We had golden time as a school but it never really worked as the children weren't bothered about missing it so we scrapped it which is a shame

:o My girls (6 and 7 years old) love golden time at their school. The teachers plan for some really interesting activities that they usually don't have at any other time, such as cooking, sewing, parachute games etc. The children then get to choose which activities they like and get put into groups accordingly. The activities usually run over several weeks so they all get to do their favourite activities. :)

thats sounds great, we had ours the last hour on a friday...we all went outside (which if it was cold the kids and the staff hated anyway!) to do different activities but as we have an afternoon play at 2.15 they didnt really see it as anything special, I'll suggest your ideas and see what staff think about it as I think we need something, been speaking to other collegues today who have also mentioned the poor behaviour at the moment.

thanks again!

Catherine x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)