Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Motivational Planning Skills Sheets Etc

Hi Guys

After being inpsired with Sues article on Motivational Planning I bit the bullet and off we went, walls seem very bare but we are getting there!

I have a few questions can anyone help please? We are a full day care nursery

We have interests sheets from our EYDCP where we record what the children are doing throughout the day these are then gathered up and this is where our planning comes from for the next day. We are finding this hard planning for the following day, does anyone have any suggestions do you think its possible to plan a week in advance?

Also we tend to have the same children apprearing on the sheets all the time, do you pick certain children to observe each day on a rota basis?

Also focus activites these use to be planned from topics I read in the article that focus activities come from the skills sheets, Ive printed off the one from the article do I persume these are then split over the terms months or whatever length of time?

How many focus activities do you feel is manageable in a week our EYDCP say 1? Boredom seems to set in with the children?

Do you still plan art, sensory, physical activities etc, each day if so where do you show these, does anyone have any examples of these plans or any plans that might help please?

Lastly Daily Routines have your routines changed with this new type of planning does anyone have a routine sheet I can look at also?

Sorry its such a long and drawn out plea for help but I would really really apprecaute ANY HELP that can be given.

Thanks what would I do without you all x

Hi sharonash

we have also not long adopted this approach - some trial and error on my own part then final inspiration from Sue's article and other info posted on the forum.

We observe 1 focus child each day (or four over a week) and then evaluate all of their observations in our weekly planning meeting. The result might be to plan a focus activity or an adult-initiated activity.

Our nursery is set up so children can independently access all resources/basic provision and so areas do not necessarily have an activity 'set out'. However some areas will have additional resources added or set out as a result of the observations. e.g. treasure chest counting game set out on maths table this week following children's interest in making maps and hunting for treasure outside last week. Adults will then support the children who choose to take up this activity, following the activity plan set out with it. We show these adult-initiated activities on our weekly planning sheet - we don't therefore plan for all areas everyday (as they are catered for by our basic planning for each provision area) but would cover all areas over a half-term.

Our children attend a morning or afternoon session (although some do stay all day through our wraparound) and I usually find 1 focus activity a week is sufficient.

By providing adult support to extend child-initiated activities and providing adult-initiated activities to inspire others we find children do not get bored with the focus - most only have time to visit a focus activity once in the week as they are busy with their own activities but those who prefer adult activities have the option of taking up all the adult -initiated activities.

Have changed my routine slightly as found children so involved in own activities that snack-time got in the way so we now have a snack bar system.

WEEKLY_PLANNER_sample.doc

Our_daily_routine.doc

Hi,

We observe two children a day, one am, one pm. This means all children are observed on approximately a three weekly rota. Where possible we will observe pm if am the previous one and viceversa. We use these obs to suggest next steps for individuals in full staff meetings.

We have one focus activity each day so there is a broad spread of skills covered through the week. (DN, mostly F/T children) Activities are left out for revisiting/enhancing and will be monitored by a 'floating' member of staff for required input/support. We tend to target one Aspect of each area of learning per half term, whilst not ignoring the others, but set up some other activities as well as the CI stuff. (otherwise it can become a bit anarchical!) By that, I mean we have a weekly sheet indicating activities for each area each day, but only the focus is 'written in stone' (although the context may well change to follow interests), thus we continue to provide for all areas throughout the days and weeks.

Our set up sounds like that of nsunshine, in that we have most resources freely available for the children to access - this can be a bit difficult for classically trained Nursery Nurses to endure, as it can look a bit messy, but it's just a change of mindset!

Children's interests are monitored throughout the week and built into the planning as appropriate, if any strong interests arise we will have a mind mapping session with some of the children (those best able to cope with this tactic) to outline further activities, which will often indicate their knowledge and give us further food for more detailed learning outcomes etc. Sometimes these interests can even stretch into a full, child initiated topic - in fact if it does it indicates to me that practitioners have been skilful in identifying all sorts of learning potential within the children's interests! All the children's interests are monitored, by watching what goes on in all areas, these being briefly noted. You will find certain children do keep cropping up, as the stronger characters tend to lead play anyway (in our experience!). It seems to be cyclical, in that they are teaching the younger children by modelling - once they leave us for school or whatever, new 'leaders' will develop. We have found that until this is established there is a short period when we will need a theme to 'pad' the planning - usually in the first couple of weeks of term.

Our Daily Routine hasn't changed at all, but we have always had an ongoing snack etc.

I've tried to answer your questions, Sharonash, but if there's anything else please come back to me - I tend to be a bit 'hit and miss' on the Forum lately, for various reasons, (in fact, Helen pointed your post out to me just now!) so you can always pm me if you want. Having said that, I'll probably be around for the next few days!

Hope I've made sense!

Sue

just reading your example Sue I have a question.

Do your plans informed by childrens interests focus on their 'learning interest' or their play/activity interest?

The reason I ask is that in my planning I look at their play / activity interest and incorporate my LTP learning focus into their play. I am now thinking I should document their 'learning interest' ( I most probabley do address this automatically but not recorded it this way).

Just a thought after my last ofsted, inspectors commented on how well we knew the childrens 'play' interests but also said we needed to focus more on their individual learning needs. :o

Does that make sense. As I am writing this I am thinking I most probably need to record both play and learning interests (as we know different learning can occur in one play / activity interest).

If the focus is mainly on the childs self learning then where does the LTP fit in?? Maybe I should view the play / activity interest as a 'learning style' rather than specific learning of concept, skill etc.

but then a child may prefer to learn a concept in one area of play / style of learning and another concept in a totally different area of play / style of learning. if you see what I mean.

I'm confused now. just let them play and continue with reflective / retrospective planning, is what I shall do. :D

I'd value your comment. :)

ie: Do you record; Tom is choosing to focus on number knowledge 1 - 6, or Tom is choosing to play dice games??? You either plan to capitalise on the number interest or plan to provide a variety of dice and other board games thinking he is learning number and other skills such as concentration span etc.????

Peggy

Thanks so much for taking the time to sunshine reply x

We have very similar sheets to you just a few questions to ask if I may

Are your children split into age groups/rooms or do they all free flow together?

If so do you have a seperate plan for each group?

On the group plan

Where to the LO's come from do you chosse them in advance on maybe a medium term plan?

What are the underlined bits for in the staffing area?

What content do you put in an activity plan and how is this different from a focus activity?f

WeeklyPlan

Do you choose the focus children first and then plan the PLO's ?

Do you have other areas(we call them workshops areas) such as sand/water, etc if so do you plan for these areas on another sheet or do you rotate your areas just let the children visit them as they are set up with basic resources and let them choose?

How do you choose you Focus's such as PSED Observational, and Celebrating Achvmt?

Is there any chance you may be able to send me your end of session sheet (as this time of day is a flamin nightmare- so disorganised maybe we need to plan for that too!) and your outdoor sheet, mine is so simple but isnt working, its so hard as EYDCP sort of stripped everything from us and its only now after sitting back and looking at it are we saying no well bring that bit back- but not really knowing if we need to!

Sorry to bombarder you with questions but you dont know how much you are helping me! and I expect loads of others!

Wow just come our of replying to you nsunshine and seen the other posts told thank you all x

We will get there! x

Peggy,

Well. really what we look out for in the areas is the play interest they show. Our target obs should evidence learning interests and needs. I used to have a boy at another setting who shied away from any sort of mark making, but who seemed to spend hours 'arranging' items, neat lines, circles, spirals, by length, height etc. He paticularly enjoyed playing with the 'linking links' as they are very good for this sort of play. We capitalised on this by sitting with him and by playing together have got him forming letters, numbers etc using the links, so he hardly knows he's doing it!

That's the sort of thing we aim for, I suppose a combination of the things you say, really.

Sue .

Are your children split into age groups/rooms or do they all free flow together?

If so do you have a seperate plan for each group? ours is a school nursery so 3-4's only. we do work closely with our 2-3s provision (they have a much simplified planning system) and with our reception class (plans are very similar but with additional structure as appropriate)

On the group plan

Where to the LO's come from do you chosse them in advance on maybe a medium term plan? - our medium term plan sets out the key LOs for that term i.e. from class assessment sheets we identify next steps for the group.

What are the underlined bits for in the staffing area? - which staff member is going to use the camera to document their activity!

What content do you put in an activity plan and how is this different from a focus activity? - activity guides are written for parents as well as staff so less detail but basics so parents understand learning intention of play activities and how best to support their child. see attached.

WeeklyPlan

Do you choose the focus children first and then plan the PLO's ? - focus children are those that have been observed the week before and activities have been set up in response to their interests / learning needs.

Do you have other areas(we call them workshops areas) such as sand/water, etc if so do you plan for these areas on another sheet or do you rotate your areas just let the children visit them as they are set up with basic resources and let them choose?[/color] we have most/all of the workshop areas you would expect to find permanently available to the children - if no adult initiated activity planned children access basic resources - all cupboards/shelves open & labelled, drawers have picture labels.

[color=#000000]How do you choose you Focus's such as PSED Observational, and Celebrating Achvmt? - PSE we work from the SEAL materials as a whole school and I use the early foundation stage section.

have attached samples of activity guides, end of session and outdoor plans.

Sorry to bombarder you with questions but you dont know how much you are helping me! and I expect loads of others! - the great thing here is how much we can all help each other.

cutting_and_sticking.doc

Mrs_wishy_washy.doc

out_sample.doc

Story_plan_21_11_05.doc

Peggy,

Well. really what we look out for in the areas is the play interest they show. Our target obs should evidence learning interests and needs. I used to have a boy at another setting who shied away from any sort of mark making, but who seemed to spend hours 'arranging' items, neat lines, circles, spirals, by length, height etc. He paticularly enjoyed playing with the 'linking links' as they are very good for this sort of play. We capitalised on this by sitting with him and by playing together have got him forming letters, numbers etc using the links, so he hardly knows he's doing it!

That's the sort of thing we aim for, I suppose a combination of the things you say, really.

Sue .

Thanks Sue, that is how I see it too :D

Peggy

Oh boy this is tough! We've had an awful day we havent a clue on what we are doing!

I have planning formats/paperwork coming out of my ears!

I thought we were getting somewhere now I think we are going backwards!

Right we were observing children in the workshop areas, just what they are doing /interests are etc- no particular area of learning?

We just seem to land up with loads of observations nothing really valid?

We held a planning meeting and just didnt know where to start? We got knowhere!

We had an abundance of interetst sheets with loads of different things on them?

I have suggested we now go back to a medium termplan - just so we have something valid to observe rather than loads the same?(which our Eydcp said we didnt need?) on this is shows which aspect of learning we are covering over the term- but I though we werent supposed to choose which areas we were covering or is this where we are going wrong not having any real focus?

Do you when putting toys out for the children top lay with link it with an area of learning or observe them playing with it then link from this?

We have a sort of mini topic going on just for hand holding really do you think this might be confusing us, its really strange not having topics after working with them for so long

We are confused at what to plan for, we are just getting through the day its awful!

The staff arent even playing anymore .

Oh dear I NEED a bottle of wine! or 2!

Sharonash - like you we are hanging on to a mini topic - its for the staff's security I think! I feel reassured that its there just in case Ofsted come and think there's a 'free-for-all' going on. I remain positive tho. Just think of motivational planning as a journey and we've only just started. I can't imagine anyone gets it right from the outset!

When you observe your children I'm sure you can't fail to be impressed at how much learning is going on. Just this week I've been thrilled to see at least one boy (usually most reluctant at creative activities) free-painting to classical music. I saw him respond with not just his emotions but his whole body - totally creative interpretation, who cares if I don't know which area of learning to record it in..... when I turned around the same group of children had moved on to the tuff spot with shaving foam, helped themselves to glue spreaders (no-one had shown them how to use them) and were drawing and writing, emergent and visible letters. The conversations were fab too, lots of descriptive language, discussion about the alphabet, names, writing etc. I couldn't have planned the outcomes for either of these activities. We merely facilitated them by providing rich learning opportunities for them to explore!

Who says our job is dull and repetitive!

PS We're going to play Mambo No. 5 for the children to paint to next! (Saw it on the Royle family!)

Hey girls, well done!

Yes, it is tough at first, just don't expect too much of yourselves! You will get loads of different interests etc, just look for common or cross-over ground to build on. Don't worry about having 'safety net' themes - we've found we need them for those first few weeks, after the older children have left us and until the remaining ones become comfortable with their new freedom to help to lead play and learning. They are also useful for things like festivals and community events!

Yes, this approach allows you to see just how in charge of their learning these young children can be!

Go for it

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)