Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter To Parents

Hi

I'm busy with paper work and keep popping in here for a change of scenery. I have come to the - Letter to parents about letter formation. I'm feeling very bogged down and the brain just won't work as fast as I want it to. :o The thought of having to compose even a short letter to include examples of letter formation is putting me off doing it. Has anyone got something I could use please? (sorry, I'm not usually this "lazy").

I'll go back to the "things to do" list and come back to this one later.

Thanks

Sue J

In the Developing Early Writing book there is a page which shows all the letters of the alphabet and the starting point and direction of each letter. This is what we gave to parents at our Recpetion Evening and just said that the dot was where the letter started and the arrows show the direction to go in.

id this any good to you? We usually make up a little book for the children to take home with this letter stuck inside it. The blank areas at the top labelled left and right hand grips are for a photocopied picture of what the grip looks like... I'v just had a quick search on the web but cant find anything similiar.

On the inside back cover of the ahndwriting book we put a sheet similar to the one Mookie is talking about; however, we have put the letters into their 'letter families' e.g all curly caterpillar letters together with a picture of teh caterplillar and an arrow to show the direction; all long ladder letters, zig-zag letters and one armed robots.

By reminding the parents about these families it may help with the correct formation... having said that I was in Reception for the past 7 years and you can teach handwriting till you are blue in the face yet lots of children find it difficult... maybe to early eh??

Anyway, hope the attachment is of some use :)

Helping_your_child_to_write_their_name.doc

Thanks Apple that's really helpful.

Even though we do Jolly Phonics and parents have had the JP help leaflet, some children are coming in and insisting that their name is written using all upper case, because mummy said it's written this way. I thought I would send a letter home with example "Joshua" as well as a bit more info.

Thanks

Sue J

I's like to add that even though it may be far too early for some children, there will be others that it is the right time for, and then at least if the parents have the info they can then support their child, when the time is right. Or do I saound a bit over optimistic here?

That looks really interesting and one that I would like to read but my computer brings up a whole load of symbols that I cannot identify - maybe my compuyter doesn;t recognise the format - is anyone else having these problems.

Nikki

A few weeks before the children start with us, at a parents evening they get a welcome pack with dominoes, cards, dice, key words, number lines etc in it. we also enclose a welcome booklet with useful info in it. Their name written in school script is included in this. We also make tracing their name one of the morning activities they do once a week when they come in first thing. These tracings go home with them and hopefully are a reminder of how we write their name. We use cursive script too and lots arrive writing in capitals or ball and stick style. Cursive is tricky to start with but they soon get the hang of it and by the end of year 1 some of their handwriting is fabulous!

Liz x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)