Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do They Ask?

I was just wondering if any one cuould give me any idea of the types of questions an ofsted inspector asks you about your role as a foundation stage co-ordinator?

they asked me how i plan for the individual child, what i felt the strenghts and weaknesses were of the planning, how i supported the differing abilities, what resources i provided for children with additional needs and children with esl. they asked about child protection

The most important area that our Ofsted inspector was interested in last May, was how did we know where the children were on entry to Year R. In other words, what Baseline asessment did we do and how did we subsequently track the children. The FSP on it's own didn't satisfy him, and as a result Foundation Stage was slated. He didn't watch any lessons apart from a small amount of Child Initiated or ask questions on any other aspect of my practice.

:D Ours asked how we plan , assess , record etc But ours were more interested in seeing and talking to the children and any questions to us came from the children's replies, what they saw and what was in the SEF. They did ask about 'baseline' to and how we'd made changes since the last inspection that'd improved the learning. :o

please help

We have had the phonecall and they are in school Wed /Thursday.Inspector has told head she is interested in Baseline and tracking progress Any ideas of the sortd of questuions asked would be appreciated.I am Nursery teacher and Ey Coordinator and I just wondered if the FSP is not enough what exactly do they want .

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved

In ours, they asked what difference had I noticed about the standards children had achieved on entry to reception, had I noticed a difference since we became a FSU and what evidence supported this. They didn't look at the evidence as my verbal evidence seemed to make them happy. We talked about the current junior classes and the experience they had in early years compared to the children now who are in the FSU.

We were inspected two weeks ago. I showed the inspector how girls' FSP scores compared with boys' FSP scores in our school and how our results compared with Surrey and nationally. I also showed her the average value added (in terms of FSP points) for girls and boys. She seemed happy with that and just asked me why we had less children scoring point 9 in some areas than is "average" in Surrey - so I told her! She didn't ask me about planning (except to see the planning for that week) or assessing. She spent about 10 mins in each Reception class.

Good luck, you will be fine :D

As I said in an earlier posting we had an inspector that was only interested in Baselne/tracking. In kent we don't do a baseline as such. He wasn't satisfied with the FSP as such. Now we track scores at the end of each term (on a six term year). We also did an entry point after the first two weeks. If you use the E-profile you can produce all sorts of graphs. He couldn't find much else wrong with our school, except the lack of multiculturalism, so went to town on Foundation Stage. Hopefully now we would satisfy him.

Good luck!

Hi again I am gathering my thoughts for tomorrows inspection and would value any input.

These are the areas they are looking at

FOUNDATION sTAGE IS hIGH PRIORITY

CHECkATTAINMENT ON ENTRY TO RECEPTION

cHECK ATTAINMENT ON ENTRY TO yR 1

hOW ARE WE ADDRESSING LOW SCORES IN LSL,WRITING AND CALCULATING

WHAT IMPACT DOES THIS HAVE ON KS 1 SATS

LOOK AT PROVISION FOR GIRLS,BOYS AND THOSE WITH LERNING DIFFICULTIES

Sorry for the capital letters but stress is setting in

woulD appreciate thoughts Thanks

Hi Crestacat,

I suspect most people coming onto the forum after 10 last night would be too tired to think about such an involved query! :o Hope you managed to gather your own thoughts and all went well today. :)

well its over and they have gone.Positive feedback yesterday.School as a whole got satisfactory with some good featuresWe in Foundation got good .They said because our school did not achieve the national levels (KS1 SATS)then they could not give good overall.They did acknowledge the low baseline on entry to Nursery averagepoint score0.72 FSP and the good progress at the end of FS average scale points achieved 7.6.They were not in classroooms v much and spent most of the 2 days on the computers loking at data.I was told by one of them that 6 was the average score for end of FS but challenged this and showed her info from National reporting and assessment booklet 2007 that it is a GOOD level .She disagreed at first but when I persistedshe gave in . Now back to the real world and the job I love doing -being in my Nursery with the kids. :)

x