Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Fit It All In?

As you can probably tell from the title, I am wondering how all of you who are studying the FD or have studied something like it manage to fit it all in with the everyday stuff, such as full time work, children, housework etc?

I've been feeling really negative about my course since we returned after Christmas. The whole of that holiday was taken up with studying and now we've been back 3 weeks and the work is piling up again. I feel terrible that I don't get to spend too much time with Natalie and Simon but I really want to do well at this too. I am really struggling to juggle it all and I can't seem to find a way to sort it out.

As it is I'm up at 5:30 every morning, even on those days that I don't have to be at work until 9. I try and cram in a couple of hours, then spend all my lunch break doing it and then I'm back home doing another 2/3 hours just to get the set stuff done. That is without all the research and stuff we are supposed to do.

Sorry, feeling a bit sorry for myself, I know it can be done and I know I probably will do it because I'm really enjoying the college bit of it.

just to add a bit of empathy, it is hard and I have no magic ingredient to help Clare, all I keep thinking is that it will be all worth it, and like you I have been getting up at 5 ish to fit it all in, I refuse to compromise my family and that is the only way I can do it by burning the candle at both ends, early mornings and late nights, I must admit I have days when i think 'what am I thinking of doing this course' but then other days when I love it and really enjoy it, we will be ok, hang on in there.

Virtual empathy to you!!!!

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit negative. :wacko: try and think of it as back to routine, January, dark sky blues. Let the 'high winds' we are having blow those blues away. You will most probably feel a bit better now you have voiced your feelings, and as the 'term' gets underway and you get back into things the 'stress should ease a little. I am sure that Natalie and Simon support you 100% and understand that for just a little while 'mum' is being 'Clare' for part of the day, and that 'Clare' is doing something for herself. This makes 'Clare' a happier more wholesome person, even though it doesn't seem like that now. :)xD

I must admit, i am definately not a morning person so hats off to you starting at 5:30am. I would be the one finishing at that time :o after not starting until midnight, definately it can wait until later type of person is me. :(

Give yourself little rewards for a good days study, whatever your 'luxury' is ( alcohol, chocolate, massage :( ) YOU DESERVE IT, and it will restore your energies for the next task.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the college bit, use this also to charge up the batteries. :):(

You go girl, you know you can do it. :D

Peggy

Ahh Clare a big ((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))) from me. :D I have no idea how I will fit my course work in along with exersice when I go to work full time. Sorry Clare cant be much use to you at this time. :(

I feel soo lucky to work on placement 2 days per week and college 1 day per week from 9 am til 3.30 pm. :) So that gives me more time to fit everything in. xD Well that when I can be bothered to study finding hard to fill in an application form and look for a job is taking up most of my time. :( See I dont go back until a week today gosh that not long. :o I have only 3 pieces of work to cach up on me thinks work Fri, Sat, Tues then all done. Then is round 2! :(

I must get on with everything though next term but I think its all presentations and portfolios for me. Hey I have tried out a new system which seems to be working well (not counting today, unexpected interview) I do a daily to do list and tick of when I have finished and then I know what I need to do next in order of priorty. I do 1 to 5 with 1 being most important like placement or college on them days I do then other work or things like WW or exercise etc. So have a try I have got more done that way that thinking oh my I need to do this this and this and this today. It gives me a great sense of achievement when I have done it and there less to do on the daily tick sheet.

Lots of ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Beth

Yes it is really hard but somehow you manage to get through it. As Peggy said perhaps its the Christmas blues, always takes me a long time to get motivated after a break/holiday - hence why I submitted an assignment at 5.14 a.m. this morning!!!! As for housework - what's that? I dont like doing it anway so no great loss there and besides the dust and the mess always returns - I do a halftermly spring clean - seems no point in busting a gut at other times. I am sure it is just a blip and I bet having wirtten it down you already feel much better. Sometimes I just write things and find the right answers as I do, so hopefully can have too.

Nikki

I'm not studying at the moment, but can fully empathise, having 'been there, done that...etc'. Yes, it's hard and at times you will feel like chucking the towel in, but don't - IT IS SO WORTH IT AT THE END!!

I'll send you all my spare energy - so if you get any little shocks ( :o ) that's what they are!!

Sue xx

Its really hard work juggling everything and I really dont think there is a simple answer. Its a bad time of year too feeling guilty about not giving family as much attention as you'd like etc but as everyone has said it is worth it in the end :D

I am in my last year and it has been hard, even more so now because I am doing two modules together so that means two nights a week at uni, I found it hard over Christmas and was all for not finishing but my family have been very supportive, I handed in a 4500 reflective study last week and that meant late nights and early mornings, I have a 500 word formative due in on Monday and have brain block but I know I will get it done and that it will all be worth it in the end.

I don't think the dark days are helping and I am sure everyone is right you are just finding hard getting back into the routine.

Try to be positive and think of the end result, and try to do something that makes you happy this weekend

Milly

its a minor miracle juggling study/work/home/children and still managing time to stay sain. Well done Clare its not an easy task but it is not impossible either and you will have such a sense of achievement at the end of it all.

this time of year is the hardest we have just had christmas thinking about our families (making us feel guilty) and then the panic of realising how many weeks are left to do how many assignment!?!?! panic and guilt are not good combinations. but you are not alone in feeling this way I imagine there are alot of other forum members who can empathise with your situation

I finished doing my degree 18 months ago and looking back think "how did I cope?"I used to set my self little goals ie do 2 hours study then have a treat, some kind of break. Its good to see you have already found the joys of early morning study, I was always a night owl often up till 2 am writing waffle that I was too tired to check properly (which cost me marks!) but towards the end I realised that it was better to go to bed earlier and then get up and do an early morning study session (before the madness of the family/ work began) I could give my work 100% attention for a short period of time and I felt it was more effective and productive. but its harder to do this time of year when its still dark.

Keep up the hard work Clare there is light at the end of the tunnel (and if I can do it then so can you!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)