Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Australia And China

Hi

I wondered if anybody can help. We have been observing the children and they are really into aeroplanes and travelling at the moment, we thought it might be a good idea to do a week in different countries, we decided on australia, then we were going to do china to link in with chinese new year, noodles for snakc etc, we are going to make passports etc. After this i seem to have lost inspiration, has anybody got any ideas of things they could make or do.

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head -Make Chinese dragons/lanterns, picking up objects with chopsticks, wrap up a penny in red paper (tradition), a Chinese restaurant/take away/noodle bar, making hats chinese/ australian (could add pretend or real corks)/ animals in China/Australia -could also link to Physical devlt (eg Kangaroo jumps, climb like a Koala,etc), make and decorate 'boomerangs', Aboriginal Art/Music -listen to Chinese/aboriginal art/ Rolf Harris!!/ Kylie(learn the locomotion)......and when you get home....watch an episode of Neighbours or Home and Away!

We made a large chinese dragon. Large cardboard for the head and a large white sheet for the body. The children decorated it with lots of different materials. When the dragon was finished we took it outside and half the children played musical instruments whilst the other half where under the dragon, dancing with it!

Make up a chinese dragon dance. How about some of the customs followed by Chinese families - I remember doing this with an older year group than Rec and haven't tried it with this age group, but the custom of The Kitchen god is quite good. Chinese families have a picture of the kitchen god hung up, the kitchen god goes (back to heaven???) at New Year with his report to the gods on how the family has been, so the families put honey on his lips so that he says sweet things about them, or wine to make him forget any bad things (think that't it). You could make Chinese lanterns and try some Chinese foods. Teach them to say Happy New Year in Chinese 'Kung Hei Fat Choy'. We've put coloured rice into the sand tray and given them a wok and chop sticks to make 'Chinese' food. If you've seen the Festival DVD (can't think you it's by and my copy is at school) one of those has a section on Chinese New Year that's great for this age group.

I remember our Y1 class doing Australia and they learned Waltzing Matilda ... and what the words meant (great story). They made 'Aussie crunch', had an Australian beach barbecue, put on their shorts, t-shirts and sun hats some decorated with corks (found out which of our families drink lots of wine :o . This was in January so the barbie was inside with hot dog sausages and Aussy beer (iron brew or something similar).

what about my old favourite, get the children to help decorate a cardboard box and attach some long floaty fabric for a Lion Dance costume, excellent for KUW, CD and PD coverage. Have Fun!

On the aeroplane theme, my children once really enjoyed lining up the chairs into aeroplane mode and i went along the aisle taking orders and doing the safety exit routine, then they role modelled being air hostess's/ air stewards. :D

link to chinese new year ( well Japan actually - still asian!) origami aeroplanes. :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)