Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Evaluating Their Own Work

My pre-school room are keen to try out some ways to get children to evaluate and review the work/activities they have done.

Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas please?

Guest tinkerbell

I have seen in a nursery.

Children sit in a circle and their work (it was art) is in the middle.Teacher holds up each piece and says something positive about it,children are encourged to put up hand to say something they like about the work.

each child has a coloured brick which they then in turn put next to the piece of work they like best.The child whose work has the most bricks stands with teacher and talks about thier work and children also talk about why they liked the work.

piece of work could be displayed with some of the positive comments around it.

Tinkerbellx

We regularly have sessions in the nursery where a member of staff sits with a photo album full of pictures of activities we have carried out with the children recently -the children love to come and have a look at them and whilst they're chatting, we ask them which ones they enjoyed most, which they didn't like, etc. They come out with some great activity evaulations that way!! :D:o

Not sure I feel comfortable with the idea of holding up the children's art in front of them to get their peers praise (or otherwise). What about the picture which doesn't get many/any coloured bricks next to it. Do the children get to decide whether or not their work is held up in this way?

Have heard of nurseries that have sheets next to activities with 'smiley' or 'sad' faces to record how they enjoyed (or not) the particular activity or workk shop area.

Currently, we have a 'reflection time' each afternoon, when we ask what the children have liked doing best during the day and why.

Patricia

We do some of the holding up pieces of work, I think it can depend on what children you have got as to their reaction. But children are generally very good. If you say I like this work, children generally will agree with you and can really say some kind things.

In Pe i evaluate dances etc by asking other children did you see someone who you thought was trying really hard/ doing some exciting moves. It is a extremely good boost to self confidence and I am aware of the names which don't get mentioned and eiter I or the TA mention these- not every lesson but regularly.

The children don't always vote for a friend. And i have been surprised at some children's answers.

We started this off in a small group. Can you tell me something which is good about the person nexts to you's work. It was very positive and now whilst painting and working/playing my childrne can sometimes be heard complimenting each other, and of course copying each other.

We do the photo album thing too, it's a good opportunity to promote memory, recall as well as celebrate the children's achievements and talk bout the positive and negative evaluative aspects of activities..........

plus it is a really nice social and emotional exercise offering chances to talk about how the children felt when doing the task and how they feel now talking about it, you can fit all those learning areas in nicely in a good session, and I am with 2-3 year olds!! :D

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)