Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birth To Three Matters In House Training

sarahharry

Hi everyone

Im new to this forum and have read through lots of posts and have found it really helpful and interesting. Im just wondering if anyone can help me i have been asked to run an in house training day at my nursery around the birth to three matters framework. Has anyone got any ideas or resources i could use. Im struggling !!!

Thanks everyone

Sarah

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum!

I recently did some training with childminders and the most successful activity was setting up two imaginary childminders houses, with two willing volunteers to act as childminders (you could do the same with a playroom)

One 'house' had a clothes airer, large throw/blanket, cushions, large boxes, shredded paper, scarves, an ikea snake and other swatches of material. The second 'house' had three or four plastic pop up toys.

Each group had to pretend that they were 18-24 months old and had to lose their inhibitions and play with the toys. The adult in the first house was supportive, encouraging, full of praise, engaging etc... the second adult stood over the children, kept saying 'no' all the time, was very negative etc..

I put some plastic ducks on a table which were nicely displayed, but the children in the second house were only allowed to 'look and not touch' which frustrated them even more. The second group of children even started 'biting' each other and started to initiate their own games!

It was good fun, the childminders really let themselves go and it really demonstrated the value of open ended resources rather than plastic objects that only perform one function.

You can use the video or the CD ROM as it has lots of nice clips on it for observations (the gleuing one on the CD is particularly nice)

I also did an activity on fitting the BTTM Framework around daily routines (see attached) to demonstrate that children do not differentiate between 'learning' time and routine - they are learning all the time.

Daily_Routine_linking_to_BTTM_with_components.doc

daily_routine_sheet___blank_with_components.doc

Hope this helps, but I'm sure there will be loads more ideas coming your way....

Edited by Running Bunny

Thanks for that i will have a look now. There is very little information out there that i can find. I can find lots on the foundation stage but very little aimed at birth to three. Thanks very much for your ideas. It all looks very intersting, this is my first in house training course so as you can imagine im very greatful for all the help and advice anyone has to give!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Lots to be going on with, different aspect of advice, get to know what your audience already know themselves and pitch the training at the appropriate level, all the other ideas seem great, fun. practical with a clear message. And may I also say a warm welcome to the forum.

Let us know what you do at the training and how you get on.

Peggy

My BTT coordinator has asked if I can get her membership for the forum (as I keep going on about it - and she wants to be a part of it!!!!).

She'll have some FAB ideas. She's doing a staff meeting on heuristic play in March and is busy topping up her collection of resources. If you can wait that long I'll let you know how it goes.

hi

I've just been on some birth to three train the trainers training (What a mouthful!) There's a package that comes with it which gives structured training. At the moment we're delivering awareness raising in our authority. It comes complete with handouts, activities and video clips. Hope that helps

:o:D

That sounds really interesting i would love to know about her heuristic play training its definately something my staff should be up to speed with, Janine the trainers training sounds perfect do you know where i can find out about it ??? . Im so pleased i joined this forum i have found it really useful and i know its going to come in handy in my last few months of my foundation degree. Thanks so much everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our early years consultant recently gave our group a presentation at a staff meeting about it using the box set from SureStart which contains a dvd which watched together. She went through the principles and gave out a few handouts (which If I am honest, I have only scanned through!).

Guest cathy m

I know the surestart website has already been mentioned for B23 but just wanted to add, if you click B23 section then training, there are so many brilliant resources for trainers to use

hope it helps :)

Cathy

I'll ask my line manager where it all comes from. Think it's part of the pack - I've got a really big ring binder with info in. Got my first training session at the end of Jan - will let you know how it goes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)