Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Porfile And Sen

I currently have 3 chn in my class who have SEN just asking if anyone uses something other than the profile to assess chn with SEN such as a I Can bookwith social skills such as I can put my coat on etc. just feel these children are making somuch progress but not in the same way as the other children and therefore it doesn't show on the profile. help would be great

thanks

aek

I look at Birth to Three statements for the SEN who are developmentally at a pre-school level and the stepping stone statements for earlier stepping stones

There is a grid that 'Clare' devised which I find really helpful, here's a link to it:

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...ost&id=1551

And here is a link to a page with lots more of Clare's stuff -Thank you Clare, I am eternally grateful!

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...c=5178&st=0

Edited by Guest

short answer - refer to the assessment and reporting arrangements 2007 for FS/KS1 for the specific NAA guidance on assessing SEN. Also the back of the profile handbook tells you what to do. You can use AA as the code - alternative assessment but only if a child doesn't get ANY on a particular scale. You must still look at all scales and record any attainment for each of the 13. Then you must be able to show what the alternative assessment is, IEP etc etc.

Actually I've just got it here........

3.5 Exceptions

For a small number of children with special educational needs, it may not be appropriate to make an assessment against some of the Profile scales. In these instances, such children may be assessed against LA or other systems according to their needs. This assessment is known as an alternative assessment (AA). An AA may be reported to parents and to the LA. This means that many of these children will show judgements against some of the Profile scales, with an AA for the remainder. However, when an AA is submitted to the LA electronically, and reported nationally, it will be shown as 0. This is due to the nature of electronic data gathering and should not be regarded as a measure of achievement.

There may be cases where it is not appropriate to make a judgement against any scale, for instance if the child has recently arrived from abroad. In these cases, practitioners must use the letter N (for no assessment) on the form or data sheet submitted to the LA. Please note that N should not be used to indicate a partial assessment in a scale. Even where a child has recently arrived at the school, it should be possible to make judgements against some of the points within a scale. In such cases, the total of these judgements should be reported as the summary score for the relevant scale.

The expectation is that children will move with their peers and will therefore be assessed only once for the foundation stage profile. In very exceptional circumstances, through discussion and in agreement with parents, a child might not move at the same time as the rest of the class, but must not be assessed more than once. In order to ensure that children’s needs are met, it may be deemed appropriate in exceptional circumstances for a child to remain in a foundation stage class beyond the end of the academic year in which they have had their fifth birthday. Care should be taken that the child’s personal, social and emotional development is not prejudiced by this decision. In these cases the foundation stage profile does not need to be completed until the following year, when the child transfers to a year 1 class.

rest of document here

Cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)