Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jamaica

A belated Happy New Year to you all! :D

In reception this term we're looking at different countries, the one I'm struggling with is Jamaica .

I wondered if anyone had any good ideas on what I can do linked to this country and any stories you may know of with a Jamaican origin.

Thanks

Catherine xxx

A good old bit of reggae!

What about the Gemma stories - is she originally from Jamaica. Also, there's a story called Growing Good, but I can't remember if that links to Jamaica or it might be St Lucia, but even so, you could talk about The Carribbean as a whole to link it in.

Beyond that you could look at the food they grow (although not dissimilar to other carribbean countries): maybe sugar cane (my first thought was rum, but maybe not eh?!), bananas, mangos, avocados etc.

I'll keep thinking.

Quite right too Beth! It's like the one about the mexican who pushed his wife off the cliff. Why did he do it?

Tequila!

Liz x

Guest Praesus Infelix

You'll need to have pop-up blocker on for this site but there's lots about Jamaica on it (we used it to find out about Mary Secole).

Here's the link to the folk stories.

http://www.jamaicans.com/culture/anansi/index.shtml

The problem with all caribbean stories is you need someone who can say it right and "Pickney, mi kyan 'elp yuh wit dat "

Still looking for a recipe of caramelized plaintain with black beans....

How about'So much' by Trish Cook- one of my favourites - got lots of Jamaican kids in my class and they love the dialogue in this. We also love the Caribbean counting book (one smiling grandma) too.

Puzzles xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)