Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eating Sand!

I have a young fellow that eats the sand by the spoonful every time the sand tray is out. :o He makes no faces, flinches or anything, just happily munches away. I have repeatedly said no, pulled the face etc! (He is 19 months)

I understand that he is exploring and still in the stage of using his mouth to try new things etc

I even caught him picking up and eating dried mud that had fallen out of the children's wellies when they came inside from the garden! xD

Also are there any health implications of this continued diet of sand? How does it digest etc?

We have a 3 year old who eats it by the handful her mum says she does the same on the beach and that the doctor has told her not to worry. Every day she arrives and announces with an angelic smile 'I'm not going to eat the sand today!' but she does.

I am regularly am reminded by Mum and Dad that i ate sand when i was little on the beach. I dont remember but they said it left me with a bit of an upset stomach but no long term side effects :D

Not sure about sand, seems the children are or have survived. Not sure about the mud off wellies though, if cats / dogs have access to the outdoors there might be a very slight risk of contracting toxicaria ( not sure of spelling) this can lead to blindness I think)

However, I also feel that the more children have access to the 'natural' world, the more they are able to build up their immune systems and that we shouldn't stop this exploration to the extend that they are wrapped up in cotton wool :o

Peggy

Guest MaryEMac

I agree Peggy. My mum always used to say that "you'd got to eat a peck of muck before you died"

Apparently my husband used to roll his biscuits in coal dust before he ate them, if they gave him a clean one he would still do it. He doesn't appear to have suffered any ill effects.

Mary

I think we deprive the poor things of salt and they're just upping their intake! :o

I have 1 who eats playdough and that's loaded with the stuff!! She only does it during the second when I'm not looking then I'll look back and she'll have a mouthful.....

Sarah x

As a child I used to eat paper, grass and raw corn on the cob from the local field, and coal dust.

Maybe that explains a few things xD:o

My sister was partial to a bit of dog food too :(

Do you know the worm eating song?

Nobody loves me

Everybody hates me

I'm going down the garden to eat worms

long slim slimey ones

short fat furry ones

gooey, gooey, ooey, gooey worms

Long slim slimey ones slip down easily

short fat furry ones don't

short fat furry ones stick to your teeth

and the juice goes shlurp down your throat

The Children faces when I sing this at preschool is a joy to see :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)