Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Yet Again!

Trying to get my head round phonic planning (yes I know it's last minute :o ). I have large group of children who know all/most of alphabet inc ch, sh, th. Some who know some and one or two who don't hear any initial sounds or recognise letters. For lower ability group I'm intending them to work in small group with nursery nurse for most 'whole' class inputs.

Trouble is, although others might know letters they still can't blend to make cvc words (only 4 in the whole group I would say would be quite confident to do this - and they are ready to move onto long vowel sounds). If I was still following Playing with Sounds I'd concentrate on working at doing work here, BUT am I supposed to be introducing long vowel sounds etc. OR ccvc words and then reinforcing through games, so I'd introduce maybe two sounds a week then play games like sound buttons, finish it, phoneme frame to build up word building.

I've looked at Kats fantastic planning, and I know she's based lots on PwS, I'd like to do something similar BUT I don't want to get it wrong. What would you do???

Might be worth nursery nurse working 3 days a week with lower ability group, 2 days with higher ability group introducing new sounds!!!

Just panicking. Please help.

Harricroft

You still need to work from where they are - pointless to jump several steps ahead if they aren't ready for it I would say. why not consider it from this angle - work with the whole group on blending sounds in cvc words differentiating for the 3 ablity groups through questioning etc (phase 2/3i level) but in the session also reinforce/introduce the phonemes the lower ability are having trouble with so they get a chance to use those in context. They too will then get to develop their understanding of blending/segmenting even if they only have a small selection of letters (phase 2). When they are all secure with this move onto long vowels etc (phase 3ii and iii). Add in additional small group support for the lower ability children. shared /guided reading and writing groups will also give you opps to support individuals and groups with the blending/segmenting skills at their levels.

CX

Thanks Catma for your sensible resply. Isn't it funny how sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Will try what you've suggested.

Harricroft xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)