Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Coordinators

Hi I have recently been appointed temporary literacy co as our coordinator is on maternity leave. I was wondering if any one would be able to offer any advice as to help. I am quite unsure of what my role will involve. At present following an ofsted we are concentrating on the new framework and improving boys writing in Ks1. Also is it national book week soon? Was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could use to promote literacy throughout the school? I appreciate any ideas or help. :)

World Book Day is usually the first Thursday in March.

At my last school we used to have a week of "book" related activities including a book fair if we could arrange it for children to use their token.

Your literacy co-ordinator should have a co-ordinators file which they should give to you. In this there should be an action plan or a copy of the school development plan which should have listed what jobs need doing in that area over the year. It is a big job really and I'm surprised that you didn't have a hand over. Co-ordinators at our school carry out subject observations, pupil interviews, undertake planning and work scrutiny, audit resources and order new ones, help lead inset and keep abreast of new training as well as being there if anyone needs advice. All over a year I hasten to add! I would speak to the maths co-ordinator as they are probably doing something similar.

If in doubt go to your deputy or head and ask what they want you to do - that way you will be absolutely sure.

Liz x

when my son was ks1 he was a good reader/writer but didnt like reading books so we bought lots of football magazines and football books eg how to improve your soccor skills etc we took them into school and all the boys were taking them home as library books.

anything that encourages boys to read is a positive thing .

good luck with the co-ordinators role.

Currently the renewal of the frameworks is going to be your focus as there are key staff training inputs/staff meetings that should be delivered - ensuring that the whole school are upto speed with the frameworks and the changes to the expectations for all the year groups etc. Your LA should be developing or doing (ours is in 2 weeks) specific training for lit/maths coordinators in all maintained schools which will enable you to work in school on this. The whole structure and approach to Literacy and numeracy is changed in relation to extended units of work etc etc so I would get in touch with your strategy team and find out what support is planned to enable coordinators to do this this year. You may also have coordinators network meeting which are aimed at Litcos. Your maths coord should know about the renewed frameworks requirement/LA support too as they will also be expected to have input on this.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)