Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Done This Topic ?

Hi

We don't really 'do' topics as such, but my children love 'mixing' and I thought I would go with that and try and extend it. Has anyone ever done a lab type rolepay - if you have please could you post some ideas or suggestions, as my mind has gone a bit blank apart from fragrances in water etc.

Thanks

Bicarbonate of soda mixed with vinegar or lemon juice-fizzes, froths and expands

Have you seen the minto video clip? Put minto's into cola and watch-not too many though or at least do it outside!!

I used to put a variety of dishes on the table with flour, bicarb, lemon juice, water, tea leaves, coffee, cornflour, food colouring. Then used spoons of various sizes, teat pipets, forks, and watch the children, jumping in when I saw they could be helped or have things extended. It was one of my favourite things to do :D

Using felt tip pens, put some small blobs of colour onto a p[iece of kitchen towleabout 2" from the edge, dip the paper into a bowl of water . As the water is absorbed and reaches the pen the colour from the ink will travel showing the colours within a colour. Its got a fancy name which has escaped me :D

Too late for me to think of any more, I'll come back tomorrow after I've checked my book :D

Colour mixing with water and food colouring. Mixing cornflour and water, what is the best 'formula' to get the best mixture, what happens if we add too much/not enough water?

Liz

x

Sparklebox have a potions/lab role play pack that you can purchase and download.

sparklebox

Wahey! My first ever link - did have to go back to it twice though! :o

Edited by Guest

ooh, thanks for the question long way round, the responses have really inspired me to develop my sensory / investigation area. I have a draw unit with a variety of sensory items from water bottles with various ingredients in them to magnets, shells, pot pouri, smelly boxes etc.

I shall have a think and add a draw full of 'experiment' type products such as absorbant paper, ink droppers, and more.........shall give it some thought xD:o

Peggy

:) Thanks Peggy

Am looking forward to approaching sensory investigations from a new angle rather than the usual 'Ourselves'. Have introuced discovery bottles in the past which were very successful and the children loved them. Want to introduce 'our laboratory' with some type of roleplay but can't seem to get my head round it tonight - must be the shock of being back at work after the holidays!!!!

Another nice thing for the children to try is dropping food colouring on cooking oil and watching how it separates. Maybe use marbling inks and take prints ?

Spices and strong smelling foods such as curry sauce branston pickle in either rubber or plastic gloves (allergies) can be good fun. I bought some Christmas pot pouri which has lots on natural materials in (seeds cones not sure but it looks like coconuts husks seed and nut shells) sprayed thought it might be nice to investigate with magnifying glasses or if you are lucky enough to have one a digital microscope attached to the pc IWB.

Guest DeborahF

Our children absolutely love it when we bring in all our unwanted spice jars.....we've all got one in our rack that NEVER gets used haven't we!.........and let them make potions with the mixtures - we put everything out in our tuff spot, give them jugs of water, pots to mix in, teaspoons, whiskes etc. and lave them to it! It's a great sensory activity and the language that comes out of it is incredible! It's also an activity that they get completely absorbed in, they're there for hours!

Had a thought that I might leave my old broken down cd player out with some screwdrivers etc. - will need monitoring due to health and safety but think that it would be fun.

Any more ideas ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)