Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shared Reading

Hi,

I keep going round in circles deciding how best to timetable and teach CLL within Reception.

At the moment we do "traditional" shared reading probably 2 or 3 times a week although the children are also read at least 2 stories per day. The rest of the time is concentrated on writing and phonics (emphasis on Phonics, as they really need it). If we are not doing shared reading we sometimes use Jolly Jingles big book but this is not all the time.

Do you think this is enough or do you suggest we do big book/ shared reading work everyday?

Thanks for your help x

looking at the focus of shared reading(and writing) helps - the main purpose is for you to model e.g. the blending strategies taught within phonics etc, so the choice of book can be important. I often see shared reading being delivered as just another story time, with a bit of talk about authors and illustrators for good measure, but shared reading can use part of a text, a sign, and so on - its how you can demonstrate much of how reading works which is then picked up in guided/focused group work. The strategy guidance is a daily shared session but this would be either reading or writing not both. I still prefer a reading into writing model which is demonstrated in Developing Early writing.

Cx :D

We do a daily phonics session, and model writing and reading throughout all areas of learning. This model is working really well with my children(reception). Playing with sounds and pips (NLS) also a bit of Jolly Phonics keeps the children interested. (I work in an innercity school so the ch really need a little and often.) The profile results so far prove the ch are responding to this and it is fun!! :oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)