Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving Things

Well it's nearly time to go back to work and my brain has started to switch away from holiday to work mode. My new topic is 'Moving Things' and so my science is about Forces etc. I'm at a real loss of any inspiration, especially as my topic next half term is about Toys.

Anyone got any inspiration? I teach in a special school for kids with SLD/PMLD and I have a Y2/3 class working at P2-6/7 so all you 0-3 lot as well as FS guys would be a great help!

Thanks in advance!

Nich

xx

I can see your dilemma! Toys lend themselves so well to movement, don't they, so how about something a little different - pulleys or cranes, for example? Maybe this could link in with nursery rhymes such as Jack and Jill or Ding dong dell, where you could make a well with a bucket on a rope that you wind up and down? You could also set up a horizontal pulley so that you could use it to send messages (pegged on like flags).

Any good?

We have looked at what makes different toys move batteries wind up push and pull. programable toys like bee bots making them move around a course.

sorting toys into those you push and those you pull

bikes push footballs push etc baby toys that you pull with a string trolleys you can push or pull see saws push slides etc

You can do a walk around outside, pushing and pulling open gates, bikes, prams etc. Sponsored event - a wheelathon, how many times can you go round the playground!

We also made balloon rockets - make a rocket from light junk stuff, attach a straw and thread a long bit of string through the string (tricky but can be done) and then stretch the string across the room, blow up a balloon and attach to the end of the straw. As you let go of the balloon it flies along the string and across the room, really effective. You are pushing the air into the balloon and then the air is pushing the rocket across the room. More simply the rocket is a 'moving thing'! Reminds me of the lighthouse keepers lunch problem too - how can we get the lunch moving to the keeper using string and a basket etc, good problem solving for older and more able ones - I am sure yours would manage this on some level.

Liz x

Thanks guys!

Loving the Lighthouse keeper's lunch idea. May have to run with that one. I think they would like that story and it would keep me going all half term (we do a story per half term, sometimes 2).

Thanks to everyone, some interesting ideas.

Anymore? Need quite a lot of work at a sensory level.

how can you move things like a puddle or heavy items work out how to do it

torches moving lights, using mirrors too for reflection of moving objects/lights

how do cars move, look at a real car inside an engine and at wheels etc, rather than a toy one

Move large items using a wheel barrow outside how far can they make it go without spilling the contents (water or sand or heavy like bricks how many can they move)

Moving water in a water tray using funnels and tubing (we got our cheaply from aquarium shop but also from woolies self brew dept!!)

wheels moving items like sand and water or cogs and pegs if you have them link them to move how many can you link etc.

Inge

make a asic conveyer belt - wrap a length of sheet over & under the table ( join sheet at both ends), place items on top, as sheet is pulled items 'travel' from one end to another. :D

Our children recently used a toy truck which has caterpiller tracks as a shop conveyer belt, they put play food on the track, which they had placed off the edge of the table, and passed the play food past the till, the play food then fell off the track to the floor into a large pile, then when all food used, they collated it all up and started again. This was a spontaneous activity that 2 boys designed themselves, in the end a large group of about 8 children joined in for over 30 minutes :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)