Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water

Hi, have searched the forum and found some planning ideas for a water topic but wondered if anyone out there had some planning they would be willing to share?

It is for next half term so only 5 weeks and we are visiting the sea life centre in week 3 so want to build to that. Hoping to use Mrs wishy washy and the rainbow fish plus commotion in the ocean and mr gumpy. anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

:o

Guest DeborahF

Relating to sand provision, how about some exploration of the differences between wet and dry sand, adding water as you go, and how about a "washing" activity in the water tray, washing dolls clothes or dolls and looking at the differences between wet and dry fabrics/materials? Those sorts of activities are always popular!

We planned around The Rainbow Fish, looked after a goldfish in the setting, made water features out of drainpipes, explored dead fish from the fishmongers including making some fish prints ( scales are brilliant printed with gold or silver paint) :D

KUW / sensory:variety of dead fish, Fish skeletons, skins, food ( fish we eat-taste and fish food-smells aweful :o ), cuttlefish, fins, gills and tails.

Maths: fishing game, hooking different numbered fish and adding them up. can also be done using fish with shapes on them to sort / identify. We have a game like Beetle drive but using components of a fish - match the dice number to build up your fish body.

CLL: Fish songs- once I caught a fish alive, 5 little fish went swimming one day.

CREATIVE: Fish prints, undersea collage, seaweed and sand pictures, model fish tanks made with boxes.

PHYS: pretend to Swim like fish, try different types of fish food at snack bar -tuna, prawns, fish paste etc. Cellophane fish - blow along racing games.

PSE: The focus of the Rainbow fish story.

Have fun. It will be interesting to see how the children are inspired and where they can incorporate their ideas into the planning.

Peggy

I had a bottle of clean and bottle of dirty water for our news/circle time,we passed the bottles round and we talked about what it was like etc I then asked which would you prefer to drink.

we then talked about how some people dont have a choice and what they do to get clean water.I think it was savethecow website or similiar.It really seemed to hit home that not everyone has it on tap!We also practised carrying things on our head and talked about balance. And the obvious thus time of year is ice and its properties.

I read one on here a long time ago to do with ice. Never done it but would like to. Freeze a latex glove full of water and take the frozen 'hand' to the children telling them Jack Frost left it behind and you need to keep it safe for him. How can you do it? Wrap it in wool, tin foil, paper, etc and see whats best. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)