Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Responsabilities For Deputy And Senior

HI

I want to be able to go into nursery in the new year with a fresh and more constructive approach to nursery.

I am 6 months into managing the place now and all is going okay, i have imputed some changes, and they have in the main gone well. BUt i am still aware of the bitching that goes on, and the fact that my senior in particular feels she has no defined responsabilities...... these issues have been on my ever increasing 'to do' list, but in january i want to try and start a fresh and build a constructive, and productive working relationship with my deputy and senior, and roll that through to all other staff.

so far i have thought that:

I can give senior and deputy time to do individual informal supervision meetings with certain staff in nursery, ie give deputy and senior a list of key workers that they communicate with, troubleshoot with etc etc.....

senior and deputy have key holder responsabilities, medication responsabilities, phone parents when child's ill etc, take payments..... but it seems that mostly it would be me who took payments and phoned parents as i am normally always in.....

it just feels that they don;'t have much responsability and i do feel they are both bored and feel that they themselves aren't actually valued (when in fact they are!) they are getting a bit demotivated and i don't wnat that next year...

how do you all maintain harmonious relationships?

any ideas for roles / responsabilites for deputy / senior.

Thanks in advance

Dawn

As a deputy that works 5 supervisory sessions a week and who is also completely deflated I would like to be able to have more of a say into how staff are dealt with, to be able to have an input when they have their appraisals (99% positive) and I feel more praise and encouragement is required to keep the motivation going for ALL staff! And although I do give it as often as I can, its just not the same unless it comes from our 'overall supervisor'!

I liked your idea about being responsible for a group of key workers.

By giving them more responsibilty, maybe they will feel trusted and valued, therefore more motivated (I know I would!!)

x

My deputy is SENCO, Inclusion & Equal opps, H&S Officer and BTTM keyworker.

She is also my step daughter and only other member of staff ( apart from supply).

Being related has is pros and cons but the thing that motivates her most is when she covers in my absence, it enables her to really 'feel' the responsibility the manager has, in terms of shop floor day to day basis. Dealing solely with parents, supervising the supply staff and work experience student.

She is fully involved in discussions and planning for childrens needs and development and was a major factor in us receiving a good within our recent Ofsted Inspection. I directed the inspectors to discuss certain aspects of the preschool with them.

Opportunities for continuous professional development is important but not just by sending her on 'any' course that is offered. I listened, her main interest is in SEN, so have arranged an SEN specific course for her to attend in the new year which she is really looking forward to.

I take her to and from preschool ( still waiting for her to pass her test so that she can drive the car I bought her four months ago :oxD ). The journey to preschool we are mother and daughter relationship, general natter then I am her 'boss' as soon as we enter preschool and until I drop her off home at the end of the day. We discuss the day on the journey home. Most, but not all days, I say well done for....or thank you for....as I drop her off. :D

A good understanding of work/life balance is important too, I see this more closely as I work with my daughter and am more aware of the issues she has to deal with such as her sons schooling etc.

I would advise to try hard not to make assumptions and work with as much information from your senior colleagues as to their goals, their worries, their motivators.

Good luck, I am sure you will succeed becfause you spend so much of your time thinking about your colleagues.

Peggy

Hi - I have major problems in this area is so bad now am desperately looking for a new job. I basically do the entire nursery planning BTTM and FS. I get no support from manager as they said 'its not their job'. I did some baking the other day with the children and was unble to leave the room as I was alone. Another nursery nurse put the biscuits in the oven for me and I asked the manager if she could take them out. She didnt and they burnt when I asked why she said 'oh I am not getting involved'. On top of all my work I have now been given all the staff observations to do (around 12!). I only work 2 days a week on little pay but am stressed to the heaven. We have a deputy who does naff all and the manager doesn't do an awful lot. I am not sure how to handle this till I find another job. Any suggestions? x

I am currently deputy manager also. It was agreed I could do this 2 days a week as I am very good at my job. However I feel i am being taken advantage of and my ideas are constantly used with no thanks or appreciation. Sorry had a rough week last week. Am off till next week so am pondering my career in this area!

Hi bluemandie :D:D I dont think I've welcomed you before. You will get loads of support on the site. Being taken for granted is in my opinion the worse thing. If I was you I'd show other staff how to plan for a start, if they are there more often than you then their observations will be more informative for what the children need to be doing next, especially the BTT. Do you have weekly staff meetings? If not can you get together with the manager and other deputy to discuss the jobs that need doing? You might find they have their own issues about aspects of the job which would be better spoken about.

Good luck if you decide o job hunt :D

Hi Rea - thanks for your support. I have used regularly as a guest but thought this forum was so great I joined. We have monthly staff meetings where basically the staff get moaned at by the owners. Unfortunately most of the staff work very long hours and on minimum wages and most are not that fussed. Dont get me wrong the children are well taken care of but the activities aren't very imaginative and I feel the setting is standing still rather than moving on. The staff see that their is too few of them doing everything and too many doing nothing. I know they trust and respect me as, as soon as I go in I am bombarded with questions and many of the problems are bought to me. I have tried talking to the owner and they are very supportive with words but nothing is ever put in place which I find very frustrating. I worked as a higher level teaching assistant for seven years. The teacher and I won an award for excellence in literacy and I loved this job. Perhaps I am expecting too much from the private sector as I am finding it hard to adjust. The staffs attitudes have taken me by surprise too but if they were paid and valued more perhaps they would become motivated more? Job hunt starts Tuesday! Thanks x

Hi and welcome from me too bluemandy. :D

I can only guess but it does sound that you are right in that the preschool you work in has got into a rut and is basically just functioning on a daily basis. Motivation is paramount in this job, the children are so adept at picking up on moods etc.

It must be doubly difficult for you after such a sustained succesful previous job. Please try not to tar the private sector with the same brush though, there are excellent settings out there who do value their staff.

You may find Sue R's blog and article on child centred planning of interest, it is certainly motivational and includes all staff within it's approach.

Motivational Planning

Sue R's blog

Good luck with your job hunting and best wishes for the new year. :D

Peggy

I know what you mean about adjusting to the private sector. I was 8 years in a playgroup, the last 3 as leader, so going to supply and seeing how other settings, private, voluntary and council, worked was a bit of a shock. xD

How long have you been there? I find it takes a good 3 months to get really into how things run. I try to ask a lot of questions, as supply it's not really my role to tell people how to do things but a question now and then may help people to think about other ways of doing things.(failing that I take my own activities in if I'm bored)

I've been in settings where the majority of the staff are young girls who, it sometimes appears, are there because they didnt know what else to do when they left school :o Sometimes they just need a bit of responsiblity and confidence that what they are doing or what they are suggesting is good, for them to take on a more active role in aspects such as planning. If you're planning from their observations I take it the obs are of good quality so maybe they just need someone to encourage them to take the next step and plan. Long hours and minimum wage dont always equate to good staff morale and enthusiasm but I bet at least the room leaders would welcome more of a say in some areas.

Good luck with the job hunting :D