Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Open Between Xmas And New Year!

HI

How annoying our nursery is the only nursery in our whole town that is open between xmas and new year (how annoying!!!!!!!!)

and just to add insult to injusry LOL, some parents have said they will be bringing their child at 7:30 and collecting at 6.......

numbers are lower over this period, but it means that someone still has to get up to open nursery (that would be me!) and stay all day till 6 (that would be me again) to look nursery up. (i have to do that one day as there are no senior staff on other than me!!!!) blame the last manager for organising that one :o

now im sure if they told me they were open all year round, i would have turned the job down LOL, nah not really!!! I LOVE the job, just not the working between xmas and new year....

so anyone else working between xmas and new year?

Dawn

All the Council nurseries are open here. The managers got together to try to get one open and children really in need would have to go there but the council have said no, all must open even for a couple of children. I can pick and choose, thank goodness for supply :D It makes it worse when you know the children who are coming in have siblings at home, some people will ask for blood next but hopefully mine will be too toxic for a while so I'm safe there :o

Lots of nurseries are open in my Local Authority - there are only three that I am aware of that are closed and they do this every year as part of their planned closure times.

I once worked on the 27th December (we asked parents in advance who would be needing these days so we could operate minimal staffing) and we had three members of staff and seven children. The staff are children were bored and wanted to be elsewhere, but the thing that got me was the parents coming in at 5.45pm saying 'you'll never guess what we've bought in the sales today....!'

I always thought that Christmas was about spending time with your family (except those that have to work i.e. emergency services etc) Oh, sorry, I've got my rose tinted glasses on again!!

Some of the DN around here are open between christmas and new year. For me working in a school on placement is very lucky. I once worked on new years eve, the nursery was part of the local hosptial but privately run. I should have worked 8-4 but we ended up being very quiet so I only worked 8-1. I hated the experience and now try to aviod any nursery opening during the christmas/new year period.

This is only my option but I think that nursery nurses in the day nurseries deseves a week off each year for all the hard work we do, condidering that most of us work at least 40 hours per week. :D School nursery nurses get more hols than day nurseries. :o

Beth

Hi all

i heard on radio today that a local nursery is opening from 7pm New Years Eve till 10am New Years Day!!!! :o glad i don't work there :D

(didn't think registration covered over night care,i know mine doesn't, but then i'm only pre-school)

Jo

Hi all

i heard on radio today that a local nursery is opening from 7pm New Years Eve till 10am New Years Day!!!! :o glad i don't work there :D

(didn't think registration covered over night care,i know mine doesn't, but then i'm only pre-school)

Jo

OMG!!! That is ridiculous, and i thought i had it bad LOL, Glad i am not the only one working over the xmas break :D

I'm working from 27th Dec that week, then w/c 1/1/07 Tues -Thur (my normal 3 days) then back to normal. I do it so the younger members of staff (some are only 17) can still have family Christmases. Most of our parents have booked their children in (some even tried to book extras!!) so very few staff can have time off anyway! Glad I'm doing my thing for them - hope they appreciate, I'm on shifts over that period!

Sue